Skip to main content
Topic: Smorzando (Read 7536 times) previous topic - next topic

Smorzando

Anyone discovered how to mark a chord Smorzando please?

Re: Smorzando

Reply #1
I wasn't familiar with the term, so I looked it up.

Could you use an elongated hairpin?  You could use a fixed length one with the Crescendo font, I think, or you could use the NWC2 hairpin, and have it extend to a hidden muted note perhaps at the following bar line. 

Other than that, you might just use an abbreviation if there is one that is commonly known.  Perhaps Smz?

Reply #2
Thanks for replying.  I used lyric to insert Smorz.  Where do I find the nwc hairpin please?
Ken

Reply #3
David, I should perhaps have added that it is mainly found in piano music.  Ken

Reply #4
Thanks Ken.  I'm not a pianist.  Many would say I'm not a musician either, and I doubt if I'd argue.  But I enjoy playing.

In NWC 1.75 you have to insert text, using a character the shape of a hairpin.  I'm pretty sure it's in the Crescendo font, but I see it's also in the Boxmark2 font.  You can download these from the Scriptorium, at http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html.  Instal the font in your Windows Fonts folder, and then using Page Setup, select the font you need as UserFont1 (or 2, etc.)

In NWC 2, you just select the notes and press the > key to get the decrescendo hairpin.

Reply #5
A solicited reaction:
I would love to be the musician that you claim you are not.

Reply #6
... I should perhaps have added that it is mainly found in piano music.
That's odd. Although I've seen it in piano music, I would think that it should be more common in instruments that can shade their tones. Smorzando means "to smother". I don't know how to do that on a piano other than to get suddenly quiet. There are a host of more common ways to indicate that on a piano, e.g., fp, or subito p.

In any case, it is a dynamic and should be printed in the same font as other dynamics, usually Staff Italic.

For a horn player, this might be a mark to put the mute in. :)
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
I think it's a dynamic variance? 

NWC2 uses Staff Italic for the dyamic variances but Staff Metrics for dyamics.

Reply #8
Dynamic variance is a bit redundant. If it didn't vary, it would be static. Attack/volume variance would be more accurate for (de)crescendo. sfz and rfz are listed by NWC as dynamic variances but are really articulations.

IMO, it still needs to be italic.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
You are probably right, Rick, but I'm not about to try to persuade Eric to change the terms he's used since day one. 

The question became one about hairpins, which are what NWC classifies as a dynamic variance, and the Staff Italics setting doesn't affect the alphabetic representation of a crescendo or diminuendo/decrescendo.

In real life, I've never heard anyone talk about dynamic variances or attack variances, but since they're descriptive expressions, I can live with them.   

The defaults for both Staff Italics and Staff Metrics appear to be italics, so both Eric (by action) so we're safe there.

Reply #10
Rob, you haven't heard me play.  No sense of pitch or time.  It's why I play a reed instrument.  I'd be lost with brass.

I can't sing either, except in the shower or to very young infants who are screaming their heads off and need to hear Mood Indigo (my version) or 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.  Made it to 8 bottles once, with one of my kids.  Long time ago.  The grandkids settle much quicker.  Younger generations just have no stamina.