Skip to main content
Topic: Can't Seem to Record (Read 6120 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't Seem to Record

Hello friends, and Happy New Year to all of you!

I can't record anything off of my keyboard into NWC, so I am wondering if there is a way to verify my Casio CTK-551 is putting out a MIDI signal?  The Long Story version follows...

I've installed 1.75c.  I have a Casio CTK-551 keyboard connected with a USB MIDI Interface running Windows XP.  When I plug in the interface, the computer recognizes a USB Audio Device.  I have record input set to 'new window' for the resulting staff.  When I go to file 'new' and select a rhythm track, it pops right up.  When I hit 'record', the timer starts running at the bottom of the screen and the notes on the click track turn red in order. (Not getting any sound at this point)  I assume NWC is doing its thing. 

Then I start playing my keyboard (set to channel 1 output) and then I select stop.  No new window pops up, and when I hit play, the click track starts turning red in order again, but nothing comes out of the speakers.  When I alter the record settings to direct input into the buffer, record some more, then try to import the result, I get an error stating there is nothing in the buffer to import.

A sample nwc file plays nicely, so I know I've got good sound coming from the program.

The CTK-551 manual says "Though the sound source of this keyboard is not General MIDI compatible, you can still connect the keyboard to a computer or other MIDI equipment to playback General MIDI data that is widely available in stores..."  Later on, the manual tells me it does send a NOTE ON and NOTE OFF signal as keys are pressed and released.  The keyboard also allows me to manully select the MIDI send channel and a tone map setting of G (general) and N (normal).  Same negative results trying either of these settings.

The manual sure reads like the CTK-551 can send MIDI signals to the computer, but that "not General MIDI compatible" bit has me wondering if I am all alone in Left Field, without hope and my son wondering what Daddy has done...

Thanks for whatever help you can provide!

Re: Can't Seem to Record

Reply #1
(I don't do Midi so I may be out to lunch with this.)

Save a Noteworthy file (your sample file) as a midi, and try to open it in your media player.  If it plays, then your problem is likely the input from the keyboard.  If it doesn't, you may just have to fiddle with your system sound settings. 

Check your Windows system sound settings.  In the system tray at the bottom right corner of your screen there should be a little speaker icon.  If you double click it, it should open a menu called Play Control or Record Control.  One of the settings in Record Control is for Midi.  Make sure the Muted box is not checked. 

If you got to Play Control, select Options, Properties, and select Record, to select what should be displayed. Make sure the Midi box is checked.  Return to Record Control, and make sure the Midi control is selected.

I don't know if that will do anything for you.  If not, go to Control Panel and check your sound settings.  Failing that, XP has a pretty good interactive Help troubleshooting feature you can use by clicking on Desktop and pressing F1.

Sorry I can't provide better advice, but perhaps these ideas will help a bit. 

Reply #2
Hi PianoDad,
It’s good to see you back as a NWC User.

I’m sorry I can’t give NWC 1 specific instructions, as when I tried opening NWC 1, it complained about my Sound Hardware (which isn’t strictly Vista compatible MIDI-wise) and then froze. (NWC 2 doesn't seem to have this problem at the moment)

I should also add that I haven't done this via USB before, so I might be completely off the planet with this one.

First of all, Could you tell us what is displayed in the “record” tab of “options”. It might not have set itself to take the input from the USB audio device. You could also check “sounds and audio devices” in the control panel, but I don’t think that will help very much in recording.

Another thing you could do is try NWC 2 (beta). It seems to have better auto-setup abilities (as I’ve just seen in NWC 1 not working straight off with my sound setup). <edit> I should add that NWC 2 is free for all registered users of NWC 1 (who have a CD, which includes you). </edit>

I’m assuming there’s no software/drivers included with the keyboard... You could check device manager to see if it recognises it properly... If you can find it in device manager, check how generic the driver is (is it a CASIO-generic driver, a keyboard/MIDI input-generic driver or a USB Audio generic driver?)

That’s all I can think of for now... Try that and let us know how you get on.

<edit> I'm sure I read David's post correctly the first time... I think I've just completely repeated what he said. Oh well </edit>

Globbilink

Reply #3
Hi PianoDad:

Here are a couple of things to check:-
Start a New Score - Piano staff will do.
Select the staff then play some notes with your keyboard.
Do you hear anything?
Do notes appear on the staff?
If you are connected you should see notes at least.

Select the TOOLS menu item and set Midi Input Active.
Try the keyboard again.

Select TOOLS menu item then OPTIONS (at the bottom of the list).
Click on the RECORD Tab.
Select your Input Device (mine is SB16 MIDI In your should be your USB MIDI In device).
Below this enable Echo MIDI Input and select your playback device.
Select New Window or another option for the location of the recorded data.

Click on the IMPORT Tab.
Select the Resolution, Notation and Channel options required.

Test simple keyboard note entry again if that wont work Record wont work either.
If none of this works.
Close NWC and restart.
If still no luck try Uninstalling your USB device driver.
Reboot.
Install the USB driver again.

Hope it works!!

Barry Graham
Melbourne, Australia

Reply #4
As Barry notes, sometimes the USB devices can be picky about how they are installed. Sometimes, you need to plug the USB device in PRIOR to installing the drivers, and sometimes it is recommended that you plug the device in AFTER you install the drivers.

See also:

FAQ - How do I set up to use a MIDI keyboard with NWC?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/52.htm

Reply #5
One NWC setting that seems to be make-or-break for MIDI recording is Tools-Options-MIDI tab-Port Usage.  On my computer at least, this MUST be set to "Always" for anything to end up in the Record buffer.  Just remember to reset it to "While Playing" after done recording so as not to hog the MIDI synth away from other MIDI applications.  HTH!!