Skip to main content
Topic: Problem with fonts in Vista (Read 4479 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with fonts in Vista

I just installed Lawries Swing Dings, and Music Serif/Sands to the Windows/Fonts folder, however, when I go to page setup in NWC2, the fonts are not an option, only NWC2STDA appears.  Also, if I bring up a file that already uses one of these fonts (from my old computer), the font option appears in the dialogue box, but the font in the file is a string of odd characters. I restarted the computer after installing the fonts and there is no change. Any guidance is appreciated. TIA

Re: Problem with fonts in Vista

Reply #1
G'day Duncan,
I haven't tested with vista at all, but as the fonts are standard True Type ones I wouldn't expect any incompatibilities.

Has anyone else tried vista and my suites?  If so could you tell us about your experience?

I would like to know if this is a general problem or if Duncan has a specific issue.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Well, I'm using Vista Ultimate on my main computer, and the fonts work just fine. I have boxmarks as well as all of Lawrie's fonts from the scripto. The only problem I can see might be how you installed the fonts.

Reply #3
I dragged and dropped into the Windows Fonts folder. What shows up in that folder is Wingdings, Wingdings 2 and Wingdings 3 - all as Open Type. As I remember, this is what I did the last time in XP Home Edition and it worked fine. I could be wrong. I also remember being able to see all of the font types seperately in the Font Folder.

Reply #4
Vista has changed a lot of things - I'll have a chat with some of my staff later today and see if the font location is one of the changes...

I wouldn't think it was but vista has been such a disaster from the point of view of backward compatibility with some things that anything's possible.

To tell the truth, I see vista as being like DOS 4 - best avoided and wait for the next version...

Duncan, if you open the fonts folder, can you see ANY of my fonts?  Might be worthwhile trying it from a command prompt.

If you can't see 'em in explorer but you can in a command prompt then I'd suggest deleting them at the command prompt and then try installing them from the font install dialogue in explorer...

Remember, DON'T unzip directly to the fonts folder.  Unzip to another location and install 'em from there.

Reply #5
Vista has changed a lot of things - I'll have a chat with some of my staff later today and see if the font location is one of the changes...

I've confirmed that vista puts fonts where we expect 'em - C:\Windows\fonts - so that ain't the problem...

Reply #6
I dragged and dropped into the Windows Fonts folder. What shows up in that folder is Wingdings, Wingdings 2 and Wingdings 3 - all as Open Type.

If you did not see the fonts show up after dragging and dropping into the Fonts folder, then they were not accepted. You might try copying and pasting the font files in an Explorer window. If this fails, you might get an error message to help diagnose the failure.

Reply #7
I use the fonts in Vista Home Premium without any problems.  As I recall, I copied and pasted to the fonts folder... Nothing else.

Reply #8
OOPS! I did not extract the files before dragging them. Sorry to cause a stir. Thanks all for the assistance. I will be back for more assistance soon as I see another problem on the horizon. Too late to get into it now though. Thanks again for the help.

Reply #9
Whew!