Skip to main content
Topic: Running NWC on Linux (Read 3952 times) previous topic - next topic

Running NWC on Linux

I've been running NWC for more than ten years in M$ Windows but reports on the new Vista have frightened me off so I have loaded "Ubuntu" Linux. For anyone who's interested it's working very well.
Using WINE (Windows Emulator) I have installed NWC13 and it works just as well as it did running in Windows except that I can't get the sound to work.
Can anyone offer any suggestions that may help me get the sound to work?
Regards,
Brian Reynolds.

Re: Running NWC on Linux

Reply #1
This link may help.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Another solution is to use a Virtual Machine.  I just wanted to get NWC running properly, so I installed a copy of Win 2K Pro I have in a virtual machine and now everything works.  Of course, I can't get on the Internet, but that does not matter since I just use the VM for NWC/

www.vmware.com

Andrew

Reply #3
I am running both NWC 1.75c and NWC 2.20 on Ubuntu. They work perfectly, but I had to do some research to get sound out of the programs. Unfortunately I did not document exactly what I did, but I used information provided on this page

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MidiSoftwareSynthesisHowTo

--Christian
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Reply #4
I can also report that both 1.75c and 2.21 work under Wine. To get the sound working I had to install TiMidity (software midi) and tell NWC to use TiMidity port 0. I could not get updates to work under WINE. After doing the original install under WINE I did the updates by applying them on my Windows box and copying over the NWC executables. (the .exe and the .dll files).

Reply #5
The retry prompt in the NWC2 update program was specifically added to enable users to work around a bug in Wine. When you get the prompt, you can manually delete the target nwc2.exe, and then the install should continue successfully. Make sure to make a backup before doing this, though.