Skip to main content
Topic: NEWBIE (Read 3369 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi all

I'm a newcomer to noteworthy and music composition.
Been writing music lyrics for about 20 years, and want to look at doing the whole deal.

I don't know squat about music chords, keys and the like.

Any suggestions as to the best course of action would be highly appreciated

Thanks
Bruce

Re: NEWBIE

Reply #1
Bruce,

I came to NWC at an advanced age - 80+ years - as a result of a friend's request for help in producing " one finger playable"   versions of hymn tunes for when he had to take a service and there was no organist or pianist. After trying more than 10 alternative programs I selected NWC and have never regretted it.  Although I only intended to do what my friend wanted,  the program " grew on me" and I have used it a lot.
      The simple answer to your query is "what would you like to do?" as NWC will do almost anything which involves putting music on to paper.    Personally I found the "Command Summary" available at http://nwc-scriptorium.org/command.html  --    very helpful - although written for the original NWC  most of it is still valid fot the later versions.  Browsing through the Scriptorium, especially the "Helpful Files" can also inspire you.
     You will of course have gone over the introductory exercise in notating "Jingle Bells"?

Tony

Reply #2
I second Tony's suggestion of looking at the Command Summary, but would also suggest you look at (after starting NoteWorthy) Help menu or F1 key, then choose Getting Started.  I also found the exercise of doing "Jingle Bells" quite helpful but I couldn't find it in any help file, just in my version 1.70 User's Guide which came out in 2000.

At any rate, play with it for a little while and remember the F1 key is your friend.  You can catch on to the bulk of what you need to do very quickly, but when it starts to get hairy that's what this forum is for.

Welcome aboard!
Since 1998

Reply #3
G'day Bruce,
first, let me welcome you to the forum.  'Tis an interesting place to be...  :)

I'm a newcomer to noteworthy and music composition.
Been writing music lyrics for about 20 years, and want to look at doing the whole deal.

I don't know squat about music chords, keys and the like.

Now, while I can second both Tony and Warren's words, it seems to me that we really have 2 primary concerns here:
  • How to use Noteworthy Composer
  • How to read and write music

The first is largely covered by what Tony and Warren have said, but as for the second...

I'm no music teacher so I don't really know where to start...  However, there are lots of sites on the net that can help.  Some are free, some cost money.  Here are a couple I just "googled".

http://www.musictheory.halifax.ns.ca/lessons.html
http://www.geocities.com/mecmirror/

Learning how to use NWC is easy, learning to write music will probably take the rest of your life, but don't let that put you off.  While I don't write much, I've found that the more I learn the more I realise I don't know - ain't that true in all things in life though?

There are plenty of people who visit here who are more than willing to help, so this is a fine resource you can use.  However there is no substitute for plain ol' hard work.

You already write lyrics, so you must have some idea of melody.  The next step is to learn how to put that melody down in a way others can read and reproduce it.  NWC is a great tool for this.

Good luck, and welcome once again.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Just a tip - I am somewhat an amatuer jazz composer, so I always make my songs based on these notes:
C, Eb, F, F#, G, and Bb.

I personally think those notes tend to make music sound cool.

Also, I find the Lead instruments most useful.

But I am not into wrighting lyric songs, because I am a game developer and mostly only write game background music, so I cannot help you in making your lyrics match your songs.

Reply #5
Lawrie has hit the nail on the head (if you hang around this forum long, you will soon discover that Lawrie is quite good at that).

In addition to his suggestions re places on the Web to learn music theory, I am going to suggest a very old book: Harmony, by Walter Piston. This was first published in 1941 and was the standard beginning music theory textbook in must colleges and universities in the U.S. for at least the next 25 years. I still think it's the best out there, especially for rank beginners who are struggling with how to read notes, let alone put them together, which I take it is your current situation.

Two more suggestions: first, if you live near a college or university, you might see if you can audit a beginning music theory class. Second, don't be afraid to post specific questions to this forum. A number of us are quite well versed in theory and are happy to share what we know.

Reply #6
Thanks y'all.
I downloaded the PDF and just reading (okay skimming) has already opened my eyes a lot.
Using noteworthy is a breeze.
I Plan on downloading music theory books to get up to speed.

Once again, thanks for the input