Flow bug (Beta 2.21)

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Bar
|Text|Text:"    x"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:8|Color:1
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Flow|Style:DaCapo|Pos:6|Justify:Right
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
If you position the cursor under the x and press F5, nothing plays. Maybe it has been this way forever but IMO, it is wrong. The D.C. has not yet been encountered and should be acted upon.

Edit: The above is only true if you have Play set to: 'from insertion point'
Edit: This is fixed in Beta 2.22
Registered user since 1996

Re: Flow bug (Beta 2.21)

Reply #1
I'll give this a look.

Reply #2
G'day Rick,
Umm, it works OK for me...

Red x is visuall after the last note but before the DC.  Position cursor at this position and get 3 notes played...

What settings do you have on your playback starting point - never mind, I'll do a test, 'ang on a sec.

<short delay>

OK, test results:
a) When configured to play back from insertion point, it's broken - no DC happens.
b) ALL other options result in correct playback.

Hey Rick, bet I can guess what your play back starting point is set too ;)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Hey Rick, bet I can guess what your play back starting point is set too ;)
Ah, thanks. I changed Play to: 'from insertion point' some time ago and forgot. Still a bug, IMHO. You just explained why no one caught it 'till now. I spent half an hour trying to figure out what was wrong with the flow in a song. If it is not fixed, a warning should be put in the help file.

Reply #4
Concur - I reckon 'tis a bug.

Thinking about it, the DC is not a MIDI event in itself 'n I'd bet that the playback engine looks for MIDI events...

Now seems like an opportune moment for me to climb up on one of my hobby horses :)

I would really like more flexible flow control in playback.  The current setup is fine if all you're notating is classical works where the "don't repeat after a DS or DC" convention holds, but sooo much modern music simply ignores this convention.

I mean I can notate it alright, but playback is a problem if I want to rehearse with NWC and get the flow correct...

My very first post in the NG years ago was about this and it's still an irritation for me...

Reply #5
Is your hobby horse large enough for two?

Reply #7
I would really like more flexible flow control in playback.  The current setup is fine if all you're notating is classical works where the "don't repeat after a DS or DC" convention holds, but sooo much modern music simply ignores this convention.
When you have a 'Local Repeat Close' a Repeat Count: spinbox appears. Perhaps when a 'Master Repeat Close' style is selected a Repeat on D.S. / D.C: checkbox could appear.

Would there be any advantage to 3 checkboxes (Repeat-> Normal, D.S., D.C)? I can't really think of a song where I need a D.S. repeat but not a D.C. repeat (or vice versa). Many times, I just need playback to check for bad notes and I'd rather skip the repeats. This would be one way, but I think I'd rather have a Page Setup option to simply 'Ignore flow on playback'.

Reply #8
I think I'd rather have a Page Setup option to simply 'Ignore flow on playback'.

Great idea, Rick. Me, too.

- Bill

Reply #9
G'day Rick,
The 3 way would be most suitable I think.  I have run into that exact situation - more than once...

I would also very much like the "IGNORE" option for proofing...

Reply #10
Now THERE is an idea! Never mind the flow, play! I would love it!
The Eagle Ear Proof Hearing Brigade would benefit immensely, as would John White (for whom we do most of the Eagle Earing) and others.

Having said that, clunky workarounds like "export to .nwctxt, change in a smart editor, import the modified .nwctxt" would work neatly. I'll try that - but still, such an IGNORE option would be great.