Skip to main content
Topic: Double stems (Read 3422 times) previous topic - next topic

Double stems

In choral singing the stem placement is often used to distinguish what is sung by various groups, e.g. soprano, alto, tenor, bass.  If a single note is sung by two groups, it is written with two stems, one up and one down.  A beginner's question: is it possible to create such a note in version 1.75c?

Re: Double stems

Reply #1
Yes. Simply place the stem up note first, then add the stem down using Ctrl+Enter.

If you are truly entering multi-voice arrangements on a staff, I would recommend using layering for greater flexibility:

FAQ - How are 2 voices notated on a single staff?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/24.htm

Reply #2
   Your quick help is appreciated.  Just to elaborate on your instructions for us beginners, the following procedure for making double stems works all the time, for any note: if the note has an upward (resp. downward) stem, click on the downward (resp. upward) stem icon, click to the right of the note as close as possible to it, on the same line or space, then use Ctrl-Enter.
   Thanks also for the tip on layering.  I must say I was blown away by the excellence of this program, both in capability and user interface.  I bought it after spending about four hours with the evaluation version.

Reply #3
I bought it after spending about four hours with the evaluation version.
High praise indeed. Welcome to the Forum. I will look forward to you upgrading to NWC2 Tester.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
G'day George,
let me add my welcome to Rick's.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
I third the welcome.  You can also use Shift-up/down to select the stem direction.
I reccomend that once you get used to the interface, you become an NWC2 tester.  Lots of new features to like.  :-)

Reply #6
As one who will be 85 in November, I can only reinforce what others have said about NWC.  I tried evaluation version of 12 programs before I selected NWC ranging from the very cheap to the "professionals only"
Not only is the program intuitvely easy to use, but there is excellent support from others, almost always supplied politely and with patience and tolerance, something not always typical of such forums!

Although written for the original NWC version and not updated I would recommed that you download the  "Command Summary" available at

http://nwc-scriptorium.org/command.html

Most f it applies to NWC2
It is worth the trouble of printing this out and putting it into a binder

Tony