Skip to main content
Topic: Can't put NWC files on personal website (semi-off topic) (Read 4463 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't put NWC files on personal website (semi-off topic)

I have a personal website which has a few NWC files as well as .s files for a text editor I use:
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/w/b/wbporter455/nwc2/.  Using my FTP program I can view all of these, the "s" files are text and the NWC shows up as "[NWZ]" followed by "random" characters.  Unfortunately, no one else can see any of it.  Chasing the "404" error comes up to this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248033.  What do I need to say when I call? 

TIA
Since 1998

Re: Can't put NWC files on personal website (semi-off topic)

Reply #1
<This> might help. Do a search for: mime type for more discussion.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
G'day Warren,
I'm not sure the problem is simply a mime type issue - though it might be...

I'd be looking at some other testing...

Can you upload a simple .html file and will it load correctly?  There may be some limitations on the web server configuration (including mime type corrections required) that need to be addressed.

I note that I cannot go up a level and get a web page, it's just a blank screen - I don't even get a directory listing - this MAY be a file system permissions thing.  Perhaps your NWC2 directory doesn't have the right permissions  E.G "execute" instead of "read" perhaps.  Or maybe the directory is OK but the files need a "Read" permission...

I would do some testing with some simple .html files 'cos they should ALWAYS work unless the problem is a permissions thing.  If you get the same errors then it is permissions.  If not then it could very well be a mime type thing.

You may need to speak with the hosting ISP.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
It's quite simple, Warren. The NWC files have been uploaded as Ascii. This means that certain characters are translated in the process.
<tech_rap>Any CR/LF combinations are translated to LF only, because the line terminator on the target system is LF only, because that's Unix. This means that the file is no longer byte by byte exact on your webpage.</tech_rap>

So? Well, before you do a transfer, set the transfer type to binary. It depends on your FTP program. If you use a text-based FTP (don't think so) type "bin" before you do "put B147Ch04.NWC" . In CuteFTP or whatever, look through the menus for "transfer type". Good luck!
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #4
I agree with Rob.

Reply #5
Well... there's another problem. Indeed, saving these files does not help. The only thing that I can save is a file with the selected name, but the content is an HTML page, as described. So, no luck there.
It looks as if the files are there but the rights are not set. So I don't have the solution yet, sorry.

Reply #6
I don't have any problems with extra CR/LF's coming into a binary file--until recently I was able for others to read any NWC files on my site.  Also, the ".s" files are text anyway used to manipulate NWC clipboard info and could be adopted to work on nwctxt files.  The problem is the files seem to disappear completely if you try to open/download them.

I have had error messages in the past when trying to download a NWC file which had been uploaded as text and the NWC program tried to fix the problem, but this is not the problem here.

I don't have the option of doing a "chmod" on my files.  Also, while working on other parts of my site I have a null index.htm file at the root level.  I'll try hiding that file and trying to look at again, but I am not optimistic.  All I know is this worked the way I had it until just recently.

AAR, thanks to all for looking at it.
Since 1998

Reply #7
It's not the CR/LF problem, Warren. You clearly know what is going on if you refer to the "chmod" command. So, it's a rights matter. Could you please try to create a new subpage? Upload the .s and the .nwc files to this one? For variation, try a directory of more than one letter, or a directory at another level. A bit of experimenting could just work.
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #8
G'day Warren,
What FTP or SCP proggy are you using?  I know you don't have access to chmod, but many clients will do it for you - you should have rights to modify the mode of any directory in you home directory even if the chmod command isn't available in a telnet/ssh session.

I happen to use WinSCP when accessing my server and I can change rights with ease within it but I would expect other things like CuteFTP and similar would do the same.

Given that this used to work and has now stopped I would be hassling my hosting service and asking what they changed.  It is far more likely something they've done than anything else...

<10 second pause>

Hmm, just did a quick lookup on the hosting server - it's says its running IIS/6.0...  Could easily be a m$ screw up in an automatic update too...  This also tells us why chmod is unavailable.  Nevertheless, a good ftp client should give you access to change rights in your home structure.

Say, I wonder if the change was from Apache to IIS..?

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
This is a server issue, rather than a CR/LF one.

Your server returns a 404 error when a GET request is sent for any of the files in that folder. Output using our tool at http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/webtool/geturl-nwc-header.php shows:

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Content-Length: 1635
Content-Type: text/html
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 01:40:06 GMT

It is possible that your server host will not support your publishing of these file types. In other words, although you can upload the files, the web server is not currently serving up the files. This would be a question to ask.

See also: