Skip to main content
Topic: Wouldn't it be cool if... (Read 4714 times) previous topic - next topic

Wouldn't it be cool if...

I was just editing the performance version of a score and putting in lots of expression controllers as MPCs (actually mod wheel controllers for Garritan GPO). Now when I want to do a cresc, for example, I first need to scroll back towards the beginning of the staff to see what control values my last MPC had so I can start with that value and then sweep up from there. BUT... suppose the MPC edit window, instead of defaulting to some arbitrary value, defaulted the first setting to whatever the most recent setting was on that staff.

In other words, suppose I want a chord to fade slightly as it is held. 20 measures back I put in a MPC with a value of 34. Now when I go to insert a new controller the dialog pops up with the value 34 as the default instead of 64. Now I don't have to scroll back 20 measures and edit the previous MPC to read its value. Wouldn't that be cool?

--gary shannon

Re: Wouldn't it be cool if...

Reply #1
Works for me.

Reply #2
As a work around, you could always copy the last MPC - then the settings would be there when you edit it for the new requirements...

Once modified, copy it to the clipboard and paste in the next location...

You did say you were doing these AFTER having done the rest of the notation entry...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
As a work around, you could always copy the last MPC - then the settings would be there when you edit it for the new requirements...

Once modified, copy it to the clipboard and paste in the next location...

You did say you were doing these AFTER having done the rest of the notation entry...

That's what I do now. But if I'm working down the score vertically, adding expression to notes already in place, then I have to keep going back to the last MPC on each staff as I come to it. Yes, it can be done that way, but wouldn't be cool if it could be done an easier way? (What do you mean you want a pencil sharpener? You don't need a pencil sharpener. You could scratch the notes into clay tablets with a stick.)

--gary shannon

Reply #4
It's worth noting, here, that the default value for the volume MPC, which is 64, doesn't match the default volume setting NWC assigns to a staff, which is 127. Nor does it match the default velocities assigned to any of the dynamics - it's close to mp (which is 60), but noticeably different to the ear. It appears to have been chosen because it's midway on the volume scale (0<127). That was a logical choice during the code-writing and testing process, but it's probably time to rethink it now. Simply changing it to 127 to match the default staff volume would be an improvement; fiziwig's idea strikes me as almost as simple, and even better.

Worth noting, also, is that the default of the tempo MPC does match the default staff tempo (120). Why not volume, as well? Or why not set both to match the current values of the staff, as fiziwig suggests? Just wondering....:)

Reply #5
G'day Gary,
That's what I do now. But if I'm working down the score vertically, adding expression to notes already in place, then I have to keep going back to the last MPC on each staff as I come to it. Yes, it can be done that way, but wouldn't be cool if it could be done an easier way?

Fair enough, I did say "as a work around"...  Yes, it would be most useful - as would direct access to CC's (sez Lawrie gettin' up on 'is 'obby 'orse again)

(What do you mean you want a pencil sharpener? You don't need a pencil sharpener. You could scratch the notes into clay tablets with a stick.)

Shh, shh - you'll give away my secret - <looks around furtively> I don't want everyone to know I'm a closet Luddite  :)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
Shh, shh - you'll give away my secret - <looks around furtively> I don't want everyone to know I'm a closet Luddite  :)

HEHE. I know what you mean. I'm a "slow adopter" where technology is concerned. I was using Win/98 until three weeks ago when I was finally dragged kicking and screaming into upgrading to XP. :)

--gary