Skip to main content
Topic: How do I notate rolled chords? (Read 5550 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I notate rolled chords?

I have searched the forum for this answer, but with no luck. In my composition I have three measures of eighth note chords going back and forth RH-LH but I need to roll the chords top to bottom for all three measures. If I have to I can always notate 32nd notes, but I need to print this notation ASAP, as correct as possible. Thanks for any suggestions!

Re: How do I notate rolled chords?

Reply #1
I need to print this notation ASAP, as correct as possible. Thanks for any suggestions!
If you attach a file with the 3 measures in question notated both as how you want them played and approximately how you want then to look, perhaps we can help. Since "time is of the essence", this would be better than pointing you to various forum topics on arpeggios, cadenzas, glissandi, slides and other variations.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
There is a portion of my composition (NCW2 File) attached. In measures 6-8 notice the eighth notes going back and forth. I need to find a way to notate rolled chords (top to bottom note). Thanks.

Reply #3
G'day smelin5,
please find attached an example.  NB you will need to have the Boxmark2 font installed to your system to see this.

I haven't done too much in relation to spacing etc., just given an example on how to make it happen.

I hope it is what you were after.  It doesn't sound any different of course.  For that you'd need some hidden, sounding staves with the arpeggiation written out explicitly, but you already said you could do that.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Thank you so much that's exactly what I needed. Would you mind telling me how you inserted the rolled chord "squiggly"? Did you somehow insert a portion from the Boxmark2 font?

Reply #5
Downward arpeggios are somewhat avant-garde. IIRC, Bartok was an early user and his editor explained them in a footnote. If you are going to use them, you might as well make them quarter note chords (both hands) and run the squiggly from top to bottom. There are better "down arrows" in other fonts.

My attachment is more traditional. Both staves have are MIDI channel 1. This lets you use one set of Pedal marks. I have done a few things about spacing.

Reply #6
Thanks Rick. I prefer the traditional style a lot more.

Reply #7
G'day smellin5,
Thank you so much that's exactly what I needed. Would you mind telling me how you inserted the rolled chord "squiggly"? Did you somehow insert a portion from the Boxmark2 font?

You are most welcome.  Yes, they are just 2 text entries from Boxmark2.

I use "Typecase" to access the font easily but any character map tool like Windows charmap will do.

Rick,
maa-aate, I'd just got in from my bike ride and was gettin' ready for work - I only had time for a "quick and dirty" example...  :)

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
I only had time for a "quick and dirty" example...  :)
Not aimed at anyone (you least of all). I just like to encourage folks to use Print Preview. Who knows, they might even convince NoteWorthy to change the Piano Template to 16-18pt and assign both staves to the same MIDI channel :)