Skip to main content
Topic: Bug with sound banks? (Read 3220 times) previous topic - next topic

Bug with sound banks?

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to use NWC with a soundfont which contains more than two banks (bank number changes from 0 to 127, 295 independent sounds). When I use sounds from banks 0 and 1, everything works fine. But when I try to use sounds from bank 2 and higher, I hear the sound from bank 0 instead. Is this a bug or I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Mikle.

Re: Bug with sound banks?

Reply #1
G'day Mikle,
are you certain of the bank numbering?  It is unlikely they are all sequential...

What sound font is it?

Have you seen RickG's tool to list soundfont presets?  https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6510.msg44301#msg44301

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Lawrie, thanks for prompt reply!

I've downloaded Rick's tool (thanks for it, it's quite useful) and made the list of my patches.

After some investigation I came to conclusion that the problem is in interaction between NWC and  VSTHost which I use to play sounds from soundfont.

When I start playing in NWC, I see that VSTHost selects only sounds from bank 0, while after exporting to midi the banks are selected properly.

It seems that the problem is in VSTHost or in interaction between NWC and VSTHost.

Any suggestions?

I use VSTHost with VSTSynthFont.dll.

Mikle

Reply #3
It seems that the problem is in VSTHost. WHen I use as VST hosh SynthFont, sound itself is very dirty, but instruments are reproduced properly. To hear correct instruments I have to select them in SynthFont plugin in VSTHost manually.

Mikle.

Reply #4
G'day Mikle,
that's interesting.  I've been playing with VSTHost and VSTSynthfont a bit myself lately but haven't come across this problem - I rarely use the higher banks.  I will explore this when I can make some time.

Reply #5
G'day Lawrie,

By the way, do you know another nice VST host which can work with NWC? VSTHost is very good except this bug.

Actualyy, my main idea is to create some kind of pipeline from NWC to final wav/ogg file which will allow me to get the audio file sounding exactly the same as I hear in NWC without any additional arrangement. In this case all arrangement I need I will do in NWC.

Reply #6
G'day Mikle,
at this point I haven't really played with any other VST hosts yet - still playing/learning.

Sorry.