Skip to main content
Topic: NWC2 beta 2.20 - tie problem (Read 3384 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC2 beta 2.20 - tie problem

G'day all,
found a problem with ties on chords with an interval of a 2nd...  If the lower note is above the centre line (B) then the tie slopes upward - this results in it crossing the note above it:

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:0^,3^,4^
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:0,3,4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-3^,0^,1^
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-3,0,1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

The first bar shows the problem, the second shows how it changes at Pos 0

I don't recall this in previous betas but may simply have never come across it...  I suspect it may be an artifact from the recent stem alignment fix.

<edit> there needs to be a 3rd note in the chord below the 2nd interval - if it is only a 2 note chord the ties go in opposite directions and it is OK.  Tie direction isn't the problem as such, it is the fact of starting too far left for the lower note in the 2nd interval part of the chord.

I hope that's a bit clearer...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: NWC2 beta 2.20 - tie problem

Reply #1
As far as I can tell, NWC has always tied chords with more than two notes in this manner: ties above the midline sloped upward, ties below sloped downward. I've occasionally resorted to layers when these made the printed music unclear. But I think you are right, Lawrie, that ties crossing note heads is a new problem. I just checked back through several of my printed scores looking for ties, and all of them (including the tied seconds) avoided the noteheads.

Reply #2
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:3z^|Visibility:Never
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:0^,3^,4^
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:0,3,4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
looks a bit better.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Looks better, but the grace note affects playback, even when it's muted.

Reply #4
   This could be solved cleanly if the notes in a chord could be separately given all attributes that make musical sense to be separate for the notes of a chord.  (Staccato might not make sense, but tie/slur direction definitely would.)

The example also shows an inconsistency in that the right ends of the ties don't depend on where their respective note heads are while the left ends do.  Seems that either both or neither should be given this "optimization".

BTW, I have tried many combinations and do not find a similar problem for slurs.