Skip to main content
Topic: Note Duration From PSR 225 to NWC (Read 3533 times) previous topic - next topic

Note Duration From PSR 225 to NWC

I've seen this mentioned briefly before, but I am a MIDI ignoramus. I have my Yamaha psr225 connected to my Noteworthy and can get the notes to write on the staff, but I still can't figure out how to have the keyboard send duration information--I don't want to manually have to change each note. I love using NWC to enter a song and with a few clicks have it transpose for my trumpet and I can add some descants. I just wish I could easily play a melody on the keyboard and it would "magically" appear on the staff the right way.

If anyone cares to try to explain a possibility to me, I'm listening (my keyboard doesn't have any sliders or wheels modulators).
Someone had suggested making a repeating metronome bar and playing along with that - but I can't figure that out either.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!!
Susan Hansen

Re: Note Duration From PSR 225 to NWC

Reply #1
Susan, take a look at the online help (record command topic). The fastest way to get it is, in NWC, press the following keys separately : Alt, T, F1

I quote a part of it:
(...) Recording is only possible when a score is open and is playing. If the current song is only three bars in length, then starting a recording will only allow up to three bars to be recorded. This is because recording and play back will both stop when the current song play back is finished.
          this explains why you need to already have "a repeating metronome bar and playing along" : create an empty staff, put only rests in it, and add a repeat bar at the end to make it loop "forever" (250 times with a "local repeat close" bar).
          Instead of rests, you can also put a "metronome": set the midi port of this staff to 10 to make it play "drums", and insert quarters (with C note for ex.). Each note is a different percussion in that mode. Then you will hear it when you play with your midi keyboard.

Let's go on with NWC help:
This command can be quickly activated using the F4 key, or the record icon on the file tool bar.
(...)
When the play back of the song is finished, or play is stopped, the recorded performance is saved into a dedicated record buffer. The performance may optionally be imported into a new staff or new song window. This is controlled by options that you set in the Record Tab of the Options dialog. Regardless of the setting for the recording import, the saved performance can be manually imported into a new staff at any time by using the Import Recording command on the Staff menu.
          briefly: when you're redy to play, press F4 on your PC keyboard, wait a measure or two to get the beat, and start to play. When you're done, press Escape (or F5) and the music you played is ready-to-use. Depending on the record options (menu Tools/Options, "record" tab, "import options" part), you will have a new staff or a new window. use the Staff/ImportRecording... menu and you can start to modify your record.
          /!\ the "precision" of the record depends on the "import" options you choose. If you're not precise enough when playing, rather choose 8ths value than 32ths... But only you can make the better choice. that's what I call freedom :)

The help quoted above is Copyright ® 1998 by NoteWorthy ArtWare, Inc.

Hope this helps,

MAD

Re: Note Duration From PSR 225 to NWC

Reply #2
"the "precision" of the record depends on the "import" options you choose." - that's the bit I needed; thanks!