Skip to main content
Topic: Keyboard control without inserting notes (Read 4030 times) previous topic - next topic

Keyboard control without inserting notes

Occasionally I like to use the on-screen keyboard to play a note or two, but would like it to not insert notes on the staff.  Is that possible?  Thanks.

Re: Keyboard control without inserting notes

Reply #1
Not that I know of. But you can create a new blank score, play away, and then switch back to the score you are working on when you've finished playing.

Reply #2
Well... simply entering the notes and pressing Alt-Backspace as often as you entered a note?
Works for me. I do realise that this is not what you asked, but it's fast and reliable.
A new staff for trying out has several drawbacks. 1 = You are thrown back to bar 1. 2 = No key signature, unless you enter one. Sounds all a bit cumbersome to me...

Reply #3
Hey, Rob, I didn't say new staff. I said new score. Comes up in a separate window. Easy to switch back and forth without losing your place. Sorry if what I said seemed confusing.

I guess I'm not really the person to rely on for advice on the keyboard, though, as I don't ever use it. Seems far more difficult to enter notes that way than to just put them on the score. Personally, I would prefer it if the programming time that went into the keyboard had gone into improving slurs and giving us true orchestral brackets.

Reply #4
Ah... I was still using NWC 2.0, without THAT keyboard! Hmmm, that clears things up.
I'm afraid you will have to Alt-Backspace your way out of it.

Reply #5
NWC won't modify a minimized song.

If only one song is open, just minimize it.

If you have more than one song open, minimize one of them and press CTRL+TAB until it is the active song.

Then play away...
Registered user since 1996