Skip to main content
Topic: Printing problem (Read 6828 times) previous topic - next topic

Printing problem

While using NWC2 version 2.19 last night to print out a score, the print function suddenly died.  The problem arose between printing jobs, not in the middle of a job.  When I try to print, the printer driver reads the file as already printed (rather than as a job to do) and then discards it.

I ended up copying some pages to image files and then printing those.  This works, except that it doesn't print the page nos.  And of course it's not a very convenient way to print a big job.  Printing from the NWC reader doesn't work either.  I tried reinstalling NWC2, but still the same result.

All of this sounds like it might be a printer problem, not a NWC problem.  But as I said, I was able to print the image files I saved, and I'm able to print from other applications (like Word) with no problem.  It's only printing from NWC and the reader that doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
Peter

Re: Printing problem

Reply #1
Well, if it is a printer problem, uninstalling the printer and re-installing it might be a quick fix.
Maybe you will need the driver CD (certainly if it's an HP printer, they're notorious for that) but you stand a good chance of fixing your problem.
Please let us know.
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #2
Thanks for the suggestion.  While that didn't help, something else did.

I was trying to reprint only selected pages from a non-initial movement.  So the movement in question began on p. 19, and I wanted to reprint some pages starting on p. 22.  When I asked it to print only p. 22, nothing happened.  Apparently the NWC printer thinks every file begins with page 1, even if you say begin pagination on p. 19.  Thus, it probably though p. 22 was out of range.  When I tried to reprint the whole movement, it worked like a charm.  I guess I should have said print only p. 4. (If the movement begins on p. 19, then p. 22 is the 4th page.)

Then I reprinted only p. 8 of the FIRST movement, which begins on p. 1, of course.  It had no trouble recognizing that page.

I don't remember having this problem individual pages from non-initial movements before, but I could be wrong.
Peter

Reply #3
While I am glad that something did work, it is quite strange.
You could use a workaround: print everything to a PDF file, and then print the selected pages from there.
Just this evening I printed to a free PDF creator (the name is PDFCreator, anyway, I use it quite often - and it's free) so there is an option.
Having said that, the behaviour of NWC regarding your file is strange. Could you post it somewhere, so the virtuoso's (and maybe me) can have a look?
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #4
Apparently the NWC printer thinks every file begins with page 1, even if you say begin pagination on p. 19. 
It is not "the NWC printer". NWC just turns the whole document over to the printer driver. Printer drivers only know about physical pages, which start at page 1. Other applications may have a "front end" to the printer driver, but NoteWorthy has never had one.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
NWC natively implements printing selected, contiguous page ranges. The "Number of Copies" and "Collate" options are left up to the device driver. From your description, it is unclear whether your problem is caused by NWC or the print driver.

Reply #6
NWC natively implements printing selected, contiguous page ranges.
I'm confused. I open moonlite.nwc from samples. It is 14 pages in Print Preview. If I print page 13, I get one page, numbered 13. If I change File->Page Setup...->Options->From:  to 10, and print page 13 again, I get the same page, except that it is numbered 22. If NWC2 is sending the logical starting page to the printer driver, it is ignoring it.

I see nothing that would contradict my earlier reply (#4).

Reply #7
I was just pointing out that NWC is the one actually implementing the page print logic at the front end.

This also came up back in the private preview, long ago.  Quoting from the following private preview topic (need to be an official tester to see this):

Re: Interesting print pagenumber issue

When you specify a page range, this refers to the actual physical paper/sheet count, rather than the number printed by NWC on the page. Does anyone care to argue for the alternative logic?

Reply #8
Thanks. I'm less confused now.

Reply #9
Does anyone care to argue for the alternative logic (that NWC should use the actual page number that would appear on the page)?

Reply #11
Does anyone care to argue for the alternative logic (that NWC should use the actual page number that would appear on the page)?

Yes, I think so.  Not that it makes any difference to me at all, because I always print with Pdfcreator and if I need one page, I select it from Acrobat Reader.

If I'm in Word, and print page 13 of a document, I'll get the page that is numbered 13.  NWC might as well be consistent.

However, I'd personally rather you put it in the "to do one day" section of your wish list, and bring slur improvements to the fore, please.  It's got to be the most enduring and frequently requested change. 

Reply #12
The change is trivial from a technical perspective.

Reply #13
I have no personal preference.  Most of my scores rarely go above 3 or 4 pages per extracted part and I never print full scores (or almost never) so it has little or no impact on me.

That said, and given that you consider it a trivial change, then printing the page as per the numbering scheme rather than physical page number is probably more convenient.

Like David there are other things that are higher on my personal wish list  ;)  Such as (in rough order of preference):

• cue's/scalable notation on a note/rest by note/rest basis  I.E. independant of staff size selectable percentage of staff metric - a la similar to grace notes
  • further improvments in slurs plus some overrides on the curvature if possible (control "handles" perhaps?)
  • fractional positioning (vertical and horizontal) controls (+ve and -ve)
  • An option for system breaks to not right justify/print the rest of the staff to the right edge
  • An option for staves to start indented  E.G. for Coda's
  • A Codetta option
  • Page breaks
  • More options/control in repeat functionality after DS / DC directives
  • MPC improvements - direct access to CC's and greater pitchbend range
  • "Proper" drum notation so I don't need to layer transposed staves
  • ossia
  • a few others :)

After you've done these and had morning tea I'll fill you in on the rest of the list  ;)

<I dunno, give a man an inch and he'll take several miles - should know better than to invite comments, mumble mumble mumble>
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #14
Lawrie,

A change like that costs no time at all. I have said things about priority recently, but this goes one step further. It's a change that can be done in a minute - and it will hitch a ride when the next compilation takes place / the next version is issued. I have done such things many times. A release then consists of a number of large/largish issues, plus a number of minor improvements and bug fixes thrown in for free.
So do not be disappointed if something like this is implemented. It does not mean that your wish list and your view of its priority is neglected or ignored.
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #15
S'OK Rob,
I won't be disappointed, I do understand the situation.  I was just being a bit cheeky and (mis)using an opportunity to beg for some other stuff ;)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #16
  • cues/scalable notation on a note/rest by note/rest basis  ... similar to grace notes
  • further improvments in slurs plus some overrides on the curvature if possible (control "handles" perhaps?)
  • An option for system breaks to not right justify/print the rest of the staff to the right edge
  • An option for staves to start indented  E.G. for Codas
  • Page breaks
  • "Proper" drum notation so I don't need to layer transposed staves
  • ossia
For sure!