Skip to main content
Topic: Help Help Help! (Read 3712 times) previous topic - next topic

Help Help Help!

Hi, I have the free demo of NWC, and I'm currently writing down my Piano Concerto No. 1...So I was all fine, got part of the piano done, then worked on Strings, now I'm on Woodwinds, specifically Flutes. So I begin writing the score for the first section of flutes, then I wanted an accompianment, so I started ont he second pair of flutes.   Yet when I played it back, it sounded like whistles, and just disturbing (like a 3 year old hitting instruments).  I tried a new instrument, and the noise continued.  Then I deleted, and redid, still continued.  Then I deleted and made it with a different instrument - same results. 
If you know what's wrong, and how to fix it, thank you!!
This is the 8th staff, if that means anything on the demo version.
First 2 staves: Piano
Second 2: Violins
Third 2: Cellos
Fourth 2: Violas
Fifth 2: Flutes (and those whistling, drum sounds)

Thank you -- you can contact me by E-mail (pianos345@yahoo.com) since I may not check back here, though I should.

Thanks again.

-Pianos345

Re: Help Help Help!

Reply #1
If you're getting drum sounds on your flute staff, then that's because it's assigned to channel 10.  MIDI channel 10 is reserved for drums.  If you select "Tools, Score Review", you can see what MIDI channel is assigned to each staff.  Then, after clicking "Close", just right-click on the staff you want to change and select "Staff Properties".  Go to the MIDI tab and change the channel to one not currently used by the other staffs.
John

Reply #2
If John's reply isn't the answer, and it almost certainly is BTW, maybe you just have a lousy flute patch in your MIDI synth...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
LOL!!!  But Lawrie, I've taught beginning flute players who sounded like that!

Reply #5
   Another point to bear in mind, pianos345, is that if you've got a lot of different sorts of instruments, and you assign each sort to a different staff and then give each staff a different Midi channel, then pretty soon you run out of Midi channels - in General Midi (and with only one soundcard or the like) you only have 16, of which one - No 10 - is automatically a percussion track.  So, you need to start doubling up ... and then you run into the problem that Midi commands - especially Midi "off" commands - in a higher staff also act upon any subsequent staff that has been given the same channel.  It can get quite irritating!

MusicJohn, 16/Sep/07