Skip to main content
Topic: can't use 1st and 2nd ending a second time in a file (Read 4960 times) previous topic - next topic

can't use 1st and 2nd ending a second time in a file

Hey all,

I have a piece of music that has the following form...

A B(1st) :|| C(2nd) ||: D E(1st) :|| F(2nd) G

I expected A B A C D E D F G

Instead I get A B A C D F G.

Why does it jump immediately to the 2nd ending from D to F without ever playing E?

Bob

Re: can't use 1st and 2nd ending a second time in a file

Reply #1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:1
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
|Ending|Endings:2
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatOpen
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
|Ending|Endings:2
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:2
|Bar
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

works for me.

Reply #2
Are you using Master Repeat Open/Close bars with your special endings?

Reply #4
Peter Edwards, I'm new to this forum. Do I just copy and paste that "code" into a file and open it with Noteworthy? (I'm at my work computer so I can't try it until I get home...

Reply #5
Sorry for the false alarm? I don't understand but it all started working again now that I'm trying it again. I wonder if it had something to do with the fact that I'd stopped in play-back half way through, then backed up a little and played it again... etc.

Otherwise could it have been a copy-paste thing? I copy and pasted the Master Close item across each staff to save me a little time and I have 3 staffs (a piano and a flute) down and two repeats per staff, so maybe that did something bad that got cleaned up when I switched the repeats to-and-from-and-back to master repeats.

Anyway, all seems well now. If I can figure out how to reproduce the problem I'll check back.

thanks,
Bob

Reply #6
G'day Bob,
Peter Edwards, I'm new to this forum. Do I just copy and paste that "code" into a file and open it with Noteworthy? (I'm at my work computer so I can't try it until I get home...

I know you addressed the query to Peter, but I'm online, you're online and he ain't at the moment...

What Peter presented you was a "clip" from NWC2.  This is a fairly easy to interpret text representation that can be cut and pasted to/from NWC2 - unfortunately it doesn't work with NWC 1.75 which is what I'm guessing you have.

To comment on the question re: Master Repeats - yes, it does matter - special endings do not work with local repeats, you MUST use master repeats.

Some decorated barlines; section close, section open, master repeat open and double bar will reset the special ending count.  This can be frustrating with the double bar as it means that key changes 'n stuff can't always be correctly notated with a double bar if you want to have playback count work correctly.

Copying objects (notes, barlines etc.) from staff to staff should present no problems.  I do this all the time.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Thanks for the info.

You're correct, I have 1.75, not 2.

Thanks all for the responses.
Bob

Reply #8
Yes it could be that you stopped playing in mid stream and backed up. As I remember there is a setting in version 1 to start play back at cursor or always at beginning. I don't remeber were it was set in nwc 1 (I don't have 1.75 installed on this machine) and darned if I can find it on nwc 2. You might check Tools/options. Or hopefully somebody that has abetter memory than mine will ell us both the right spot.

Regards
Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Reply #9
|Tools|Options|Midi (tab)|  "Play Options" Play: (List Box)

List Box choices are:
  • from beginning
  • from insertion point
  • from current measure
  • from 1 measure back
  • from 2 measures back
  • from 3 measures back

The "from n measure(s) back" allows for playing the lead up to specific special endings.

Say you wanted to hear the 2nd ending play without goinig through a whole section 1 or more times, set up for say, from 3 measures back, and then place the cursor in the first bar of the 2nd special ending, click Play and it will play the last 3 bars of the section that leads into the repeat and then continue...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #10
lawrie, how did I know it would be you that straightened that out.
Thanks again my friend
Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum