Skip to main content
Topic: Importing a midi file from internet into NWC (Read 7111 times) previous topic - next topic

Importing a midi file from internet into NWC

I was visiting this site http://www.violinonline.com/etude10.htm and a mouseover on Play Etude No. 10 shows the same url except it ends in MID instead of htm.  I never had the opportunity with the Windows Media Player of saving that file and IE 7 only lets me save the website.  After letting NWC open the file by giving it the location on the internet, the imported file sounded like a harp (not a violin) and had tons of wierd time signatures, barlines, and short measures in it.

I got the file cleaned up, but is there an easier way to do this? 

TIA
Since 1998

Re: Importing a midi file from internet into NWC

Reply #1
if you just want the midi file as is, just open with an application that soley uses midi

Reply #2
Hi, Warren -

It all depends on the MIDI file.  Some people who create MIDI files for the web actually intentionally change things like key signatures, bar lines, tempos, note durations, etc, just to keep people from getting clean notation.  I believe there are programs out there that can even to this for you.  When you play it with a MIDI player, it sounds fine because it's only dealing with mainly note-on, note-off, and other type events.  MIDI players don't care about bar line boundaries and correct notation.  But when you bring it into a notation program, it's full of weird stuff.

I've had many midi files come into NWC with no problems; others are just full of gobble-de-gook.
John

Reply #3
Removed by author who mistakenly thought that a Noteworthy question was being asked.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
As long as the file has correct notes, I can clean it up.  My question was how to get Internet Explorer 7 to save the file in a location I specify.  TIA
Since 1998

Reply #5
My question was how to get Internet Explorer 7 to save the file in a location I specify.

By using Firefox?

<Image Link>
John

Reply #6
As long as the file has correct notes, I can clean it up.  My question was how to get Internet Explorer 7 to save the file in a location I specify.  TIA

G'day Warren,
you should be able to simply right click the link and "Save Target As..."

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
After importing the file into NWC, you can simply export and then reimport the file. If there are starting rests that you do not want, simply remove them before exporting. This process will perform a basic cleanup of signatures.

Reply #8
You can indeed, even without using FireFox, click right on "Play Etude No. 10" and save the Midi file anywhere you want. I just tried - successfully.

Reply #9
click right on "Play Etude No. 10" and save the Midi file anywhere you want.
Thank you. Thank you, thank you!!! That was exactly what I needed.
Since 1998

Reply #10
I love it when a plan comes together!

Reply #11
Some people who create MIDI files for the web actually intentionally change things...
I was going to attach a MIDI file to demonstrate this, but .mid is not an allowed file type.
Oh, well...

Reply #12
This process [export/import] will perform a basic cleanup of signatures.
Cleans this up nicely:
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Key|Signature:F#
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #13
I was going to attach a MIDI file to demonstrate this, but .mid is not an allowed file type.
Oh, well...

OhWell is a planet in one of the HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy-books. Capital is NowWhat.