Skip to main content
Topic: getting ride of title space (Read 7002 times) previous topic - next topic

getting ride of title space

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get rid of the space at the top of the first page of a score when I'm making my own title page with Word. It looks a big stupid to have a big blank space at the top of the page. Is there any way to do this?

Re: getting ride of title space

Reply #1
Go to File/Page Setup and clear the "Tile Page Info" check box.

Reply #2
G'day Wangchung,
if you reduce the size of the "Page Title Text" font it will reduce the space!  In fact, you can manually set the font size to 0.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
I don't know what the original poster wanted to do, but I found this thread because I want 2 systems of staves on the first page, not just one.

What I did, after reading the suggestion about the Title Font size, was that plus setting the bottom margin to zero. Then I got my two systems on the page so that I can set it up much more easily the way I want in a graphics image editor for more professional printing.

Frank

Reply #4
... Then I got my two systems on the page so that I can set it up much more easily the way I want in a graphics image editor ...
Try legal size paper in Print Setup. Drawback is that it takes a bit more memory in your image editor.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Quote from: Rick G. Try legal size paper in Print Setup. Drawback is that it takes a bit more memory in your image editor. [/quote
/>

The way I'm doing it, by the time I get it into Photoshop to edit the graphics file it's about 10 Meg per letter size page and only 1 Meg in memory as a monochrome JPEG.

Reply #6
When I want to do additional formatting (or email sheet music to someone), I print it to a file, which retains such great resolution that an infinite zoom in Microsoft Word will never make the notes look fuzzy.  Although Word is a terrible graphics editor, you could edit your graphics and copy them into Word.  Note that wherever you take your file, even if it's a Word document, you'll need to bring with you and install all the fonts you used, including the staff font NWCV15.ttf.

Reply #7
I couldn't find an option to print to a file, how do you do it?

As to editing: Photoshop allows either typing in sections using all the NWC fonts or cutting/pasting/duplicating graphic elements of any size, like adding chord members by copying notes from other staves or typing and then pasting it on a transparent layer wherever you want it with all the lower layer staff showing through. Much like layering in NWC, but with the added ability to grab, copy and move anything anywhere and to transform shapes, erase errors (like the left over marks when cancelling  part of a key signature to make a change, since you can't select blanks from NWC's custom key signature menu), format pages, resize to any amount and setup pages as you will. How about stretching or compressing slurs, ties and hairpins? It's a snap - far easier than all the key strokes needed to do it in NWC and with greater finesse.

Formatting title pages is another simple task, just grab stuff and move them around as you please.

For only the few extra steps involved, I can't imagine why you'd struggle with a word processor to do the job a graphics editor will do so much easier and more thoroughly. Or why you'd send the edited file back to a word processor when you can output JPEG, for your email, or any of a dozen or so other file formats, directly from the graphics editor.

Although graphics editors, especially Photoshop, have way more ability than this job needs and a steep learning curve to master it's complexity, you can get by with only the most elementary and easy to learn functions. The latest versions can be quite expensive and demanding of system resources, but you won't need any of them to do this work - a version as old as Photoshop v4 or the early versions of Photoshop Elements will handle all of this easily, so you could try to find an obsolete version at a reasonable price and with less demand on your system resources.

Reply #8
...erase errors (like the left over marks when cancelling  part of a key signature to make a change, since you can't select blanks from NWC's custom key signature menu),
You can insert a key signature of C Major set to Visibility: Never just before the new signature.
Cancellations are not an error, but their use is considered no longer necessary (unless the new signature has no sharps or flats).

Reply #9
Printing to a file - I do it by creating PDFs with pdfcreator.exe, freeware  from http://sourceforge.org

Reply #10
You can insert a key signature of C Major set to Visibility: Never just before the new signature.
Cancellations are not an error, but their use is considered no longer necessary (unless the new signature has no sharps or flats).
Thanks, K.A.T., I had guessed that that might be true, given the NWC2 default setting. Still, I am trying to duplicate what was written 20+ years ago and my friend used the older standard.   NJF

AND

David Palmquist wrote:
"Printing to a file - I do it by creating PDFs with pdfcreator.exe, freeware  from http://sourceforge.org"

Ah, you tricked me there! I thought you meant directly from NWC2.   NJF

Reply #11
In Windows Me or lower, you should be able to hit the print option in the File menu, and select Print to File.  From there, it will save it (you may need to search your computer later to find the most recent files, but pay attention to where you save it).

In Windows XP and later, select either the XPS or Office Document image writer (I don't have a preference, since neither mean anything to me).  Office Document = .tif and XPS = .xps

I've not worked yet with XP and Vista for this procedure yet, so I'm not sure how well it works.  I grew up using the early versions of Windows and just switched to Vista here at home, and haven't needed to send someone a song since the upgrade.

Hope this is helpful.

Reply #12
NJF
Ah, you tricked me there! I thought you meant directly from NWC2

Actually, it's invisible to me, so I do create the PDF directly from NWC. 

PDFCreator emulates a printer.  I've set it as my default "printer" so everything I print from any program is saved as a PDF file, unless I instruct the program to use a real printer.

Saves a lot of paper, because inevitably I don't notice some errors until after I've hit "print."