Skip to main content
Topic: Note beaming - why isn't my registered version allowing me to use it? (Read 2482 times) previous topic - next topic

Note beaming - why isn't my registered version allowing me to use it?

I bought the registered version 1.75 back in March (possibly a bit earlier), and I have been trying to figure out why the note beaming isn't working.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Re: Note beaming - why isn't my registered version allowing me to use it?

Reply #1
First look to basics.  Someone I know tried to beam quarter notes recently.  Are all the notes you're trying to beam of the right duration?  If you've entered quarter notes you need to change them.

Second, are you highlighting the group of notes you wish to beam? 

Third, you can run the automatic beam tool (look in the Tools drop-down menu).  It groups according to the time signature.  So in 4/4 time, each pair of 8th notes will beam.  In cut time, groups of 4 eighths will beam.

Fourth, what is the first element or last element in each group?  If it's a rest, NWC will not extend the beam to it.  So in a group that consists of an 8th rest and 3 8th notes, or a group of 3 8th notes followed by an 8th rest, only the notes will beam.  Highlight just the notes.

Finally, you will be able to beam over rests that occur in the middle of a group.  So 2 sixteenth notes, a sixteenth rest, and a sixteenth note can be beamed.

I suspect your problem is step two above.

Re: Note beaming - why isn't my registered version allowing me to use it?

Reply #2
Beaming notes has worked in NWC as far back as I can remember, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Do this:  Enter two 8th notes on the staff.  Then highlight both of them by left clicking on the mouse to the left of the first note, and with the mouse button still down, drag across to the right so both notes are selected.  Let up the mouse and either click on the beam button in the toolbar, or just press Ctrl-B on the keyboard.  Both notes should now be beamed.  The key is that you have to select the notes to beam first.

That being said, another option is to first make sure nothing is "selected" - just single click anywhere on the staff.  Then, assuming your notes were just entered as standard flagged 8th notes (or 16th notes or whatever), then select "Tools, Automatic Beam" from the top line menu.  This will beam (on the whole staff) all pairs of 8th notes, all groups of 8th-two 16ths, and groups of four 16th notes.

Hope this helps.
John