Skip to main content
Topic: No sound (Read 7164 times) previous topic - next topic

No sound

I have been reading alot of the other help questions, but none seem to resolve my problem.  I have XP and two weeks ago I had no problem listening to midi files or any music files.  I downloaded I can still listen to mp3's but no midi.  Then I downloaded Vanbrisco's Karoake Playlist and now if I turn the volume on my main speaker all the way up, I can just barely hear the recording.  I have checked all the volume controls and nothing is muted and volume turned all the way up.  What is wrong?  This seems to have started right after I downloaded Musicnotes Player 2 in 1.  It worked the first time, but then nothing after that.

Re: No sound

Reply #1
Open NWC, then go to Tools > Options > Midi Tab. You will see two windows. If there is nothing in the right window, move one of the devices from the left pane to the right by selecting it, then hitting the top arrow. Conversely,  if there is more than one device listed in the right pane, move all (to the left pane) except the one you want to use for playback. If this doesn't help, then go to Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage audio devices and see if anything is out of whack there. Hope this helps.

Reply #3
Yes that worked!

But now I have run across another odd one.  Even though the number of beats per measure are correct, the measure bars don't line up correctly.  It's almost as if the program is reading all the notes in the measure rather than the number of beats for the soprano notes from the alto notes.  Do I have to create another staff? 

Reply #4
Make sure that all the stems are in the right directions- sometimes if you are using a split chord you need to have both notes with opposing stems. If that doesn't work you could always use two staves and layer them.
-DAVID COOPER

Reply #5
If you play this bar, does it sound right?
If the rhythms for soprano and alto are not the same, it can be quite difficult to put them both on one staff.
Layering is, in many ways, a much preferred option.

Can you post the nwc file somewhere?
cheers, Rob.

Reply #6
Even though the number of beats per measure are correct, the measure bars don't line up correctly.  It's almost as if the program is reading all the notes in the measure rather than the number of beats for the soprano notes from the alto notes.  Do I have to create another staff? 

In general, if you are notating soprano and alto voices on the same staff, you should use layering. This enables you to notate them independently, and gives you more flexibility when it comes to play back and printing.

For more details, refer to:

FAQ - How are 2 voices notated on a single staff?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/24.htm