Skip to main content
Topic: Paste into empty bars causing shift of whole staff (Read 2286 times) previous topic - next topic

Paste into empty bars causing shift of whole staff

Hello
I am using the evaluation version Noteworthy 1.75, frantically trying to see if it will do the job I am trying to complete. Here's my problem...I have imported a song that I had recorded using Powertracks with 7 tracks, which have come across as 7 staffs (staves?). Some of the staffs can be consolidated i.e. bars 1 to 15 are on one staff, 16 to 20 are on another staff. I want to combine them to create 1 staff of bars 1 to 20. However, when I pasted bars 1 to 15 into the empty area of the staff with bars 16 to 20, the entire score shifted over, moving the originally empty bars 1 to 15 on the second staff to bars 16 to 30 and extending the overall length of the second staff by 15 bars. Is there a way to paste into an existing staff, replacing the range in the destination with the same amount of copied bars? Sort of like an over-write option in a word processor?
Sorry if this is an obvious answer, but I've just spent an hour playing around with it, with no success...

Thanks in advance

Barry

Re: Paste into empty bars causing shift of whole staff

Reply #1
I think what you're doing is pasting without highlighting the bars in the target staff that you want to replace with the source material. 

Load the source material into your clipboard (highlight and Control C), then select the target bars (move there, hold shift and right arrow to highlight them), then simply paste (Control V) the copied material into the highlighted part of the target staff.  The source bars will replace the target bars. 

If that doesn't do it, then try this workaround (NWC has lots of workarounds):

Just dealing with the first two staffs that you mention, you have one staff with notes in the first 15 bars.  Make sure it has 4 bars of rests at the end, and make them invisible (highlight them, then use Control-E, note properties, visibility=never).

On the second staff, make sure you have 15 bars of hidden rests at the beginning.  The bar with notes will line up with the first hidden bar in the top staff.

Layer the top staff.  Go to it, press F2 for staff properties, and make it "layer with next staff."

Then go to View and toggle Allow layering.

The top staff and the second staff will be superimposed, but the hidden rests won't show, so it will look like it's just one staff.

Reply #2
Duh...
I should have tried to paste with the highlight on the destination. After all, that's typically what you'd do in most paste operations in Windows. I feel slightly stupid!

It worked great-thanks for the suggestion.

Barry

Reply #3
Happy to help.