Skip to main content
Topic: trill insert (Read 3063 times) previous topic - next topic

trill insert

thanks for the excellent and timely answers to my recent posts folks.
heres another i cant seem to solve with the help files.
how do i insert a trill??

Re: trill insert

Reply #2
<snip>how do i insert a trill??

To look at or to listen to?

To look at:
If you haven't already, go to the Scripto and download either Boxmarks, Boxmark2 or one (or all) of my *Dings font suites:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts

The "h" character is a "TR~~" mark.  Install your chosen font as a user font and then insert some text containing the "h" letter using that font and voila.  Just remember, when positioning the trill text that you don't preserve width.

Please note that my *Dings suites have had the trill and shake characters ("h", "i" & "j") modified from the original Boxmark(s/2) versions so that they will line up correctly when used in conjunction with each other.

To listen to:
Create a hidden, sounding staff and notate the trill explicitly...

While it would be nice if NWC gave us trills (and other ornaments natively) there is a reasonable argument for notating them explicitely as this gives you much more control over the sound of the trill.  Important when you consider that over the centuries, trill execution has changed.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
True enough Lawrie that trills have changed over time but if you didn't like the "native" one, you could still make your own. It would be nice if at least the tr. text (as well as other musical text symbols id est, - mordents, arpeggios etc.), were built-in. Again thank you for your font suites that make all of that so easy.

Reply #4
Ideally the trill would be activated and controlled in a similar manner to the slurs and ties, in other words, the characters t and r to begin, followed by a squiggle that runs over the highlighted notes.  There would also need to be the trill flat symbol and squiggle too.

Having said that, I repeat my request for a drawing tool that would give us a line that could be straight, curved, crinkled, dotted or dashed and have two or three thicknesses. with the ability to shape it too. 

Then you'd need the symbol tr and just draw the line after it for as long as necessary.