Skip to main content
Topic: linked staffs (Read 2631 times) previous topic - next topic

linked staffs

hi all,
is there any way to unlink the staffs so the midi playback plays each line individually and sequentially rather than simultaneously. i get the feeling i'm missing something obvious but nothing in staff properies seems to do the trick

Re: linked staffs

Reply #1
G'day kenbker,
this is a common misunderstanding among new users.

When notating an instrument, you just keep going to the right.  You don't need to worry about formatting the staves to fit the editor window or a page etc. as this is attended to at print time.

Rather, each staff is a new instrument.  If you have a single instrument, then you will have a single staff and it goes to the right indefinitely.  If you want to see how it would look on a printed page, just click Print Preview...

There are sample songs in the sample subdirectory under "Program Files\Noteworthy Composer".  If you look at a couple of these you will get the idea fairly quickly.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
If you want to play a staff by itself you can use Shift+F5 if the staff is selected. Or you can use the Mute List. Tools /drop down/ Mute list

Reply #3
He misunderstood the fact that NWC doesn't use the WYSIWYG layout, not how to play a staff by itself.
Supported by The Brotherhood of Pandas