Skip to main content
Topic: Can there be a graphic file for use in Apple based publishing? (Read 4255 times) previous topic - next topic

Can there be a graphic file for use in Apple based publishing?

I am having some music published in a book here in India. The publishers are using Apple based computers. My computer is a PC and I am using Noteworthy Composer 1.75b. Right now, I have just tried printing out the musical staff and they have scanned in the music that way - but it is *very* poor quality to do it that way. If they adjust the size slightly, then the bar lines on the staff sometimes disappear and it looks bad. Somehow I want it to look decent and professional by going from computer to computer. Is there a way I can save my composition as a graphic file that can be used in Apple? (Or do I have to search out some other musical notation software to do this?! [which I don't want to have to do.])

Re: Can there be a graphic file for use in Apple based publishing?

Reply #1
G'day brandthill,
I am having some music published in a book here in India. The publishers are using Apple based computers. My computer is a PC and I am using Noteworthy Composer 1.75b. Right now, I have just tried printing out the musical staff and they have scanned in the music that way - but it is *very* poor quality to do it that way. If they adjust the size slightly, then the bar lines on the staff sometimes disappear and it looks bad. Somehow I want it to look decent and professional by going from computer to computer. Is there a way I can save my composition as a graphic file that can be used in Apple? (Or do I have to search out some other musical notation software to do this?! [which I don't want to have to do.])

I can think of a couple of possibilities...

• If you install a PDF "printer" loke Broadgun's pdfMachine you could "print" your music to a PDF
  • If you install a postscript printer and instead of "connecting" it to a normal port, configure to print to file.  This will give you a postscript format file that the Apple should be able to read
  • In print preview, you can "Copy" the image and paste into another program that will let you save in an alternative format E.G.
  • TIF
  • JPG

There are probably several other possibilities, but these are the best ones I can think of at this time of the morning (2:51 AM local)...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I wouldn't convert it to a PDF if I were you, as whenever I view a NWC-generated PDF on a Mac, it doesn't display the Notation Font correctly.
What I would do is: from Print Preview, copy to clipboard, and then paste page by page into Microsoft Word.  To force a Page Break in MS Word, use Control+Enter.

Reply #3
Lawrie, what are you doing up at that time of night?

kahman's point about PDF can be valid. Some PDF creators don't include the font information.
Simple solution is to use a PDF driver that does. Of course, Adobe Acrobat can be configured to do so.
But some cheaper PDF creators do it too, like pdf995.

Also, if you are using Office XP, you can install the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer, which "prints" straight to TIFF file.

HTH,
A

Reply #4
Lawrie, what are you doing up at that time of night?

I keep tellin' ya I gotta get a life... ;)

kahman's point about PDF can be valid. Some PDF creators don't include the font information.
Simple solution is to use a PDF driver that does. Of course, Adobe Acrobat can be configured to do so.
But some cheaper PDF creators do it too, like pdf995.

True.  Pdf's don't always render truly either...

Also, if you are using Office XP, you can install the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer, which "prints" straight to TIFF file.

Not a bad thought...  I wonder can Open Office do something like that too?

Reply #5
Open Office does print directly to a pdf file.
Rich.

Reply #6
openoffice.org also has a vector graphics program that will export to tiff format. I now it will open the emf file that nwc2 creates. I don't have nwc one installed on my system anymore so I cannot test whether it will read the output from there. Perhaps someone who has both can try it. Or if you would like you csn email me a graphic output at meriodoc_brandybuck@yahoo.com and I will try it.

Regards
Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Reply #7
Works Ok on NWC1 too

Reply #8
Thanks for checking that Lawrie.

Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Reply #9
The publisher is in the best position to answer this. I would generally expect a Mac based print shop to be able to handle a PDF, plus any fonts used within the PDF. You can find the NWC notation font in the NWC program files, and in the system font folder.

As mentioned, you could also embed the needed fonts into the PDF. Some shops don't like this method, though.