Skip to main content
Topic: Special Endings (Read 3784 times) previous topic - next topic

Special Endings

A couple of queries with a piece I'd like to finish today:

1. How do I get a special ending to stretch over two bars?

2. In the first of two adjacent bars, I have a special ending 1 (no problems with that), but in the second bar I have an un-numbered ending which appears to be a mirror image of the usual special ending.

Any ideas?

Re: Special Endings

Reply #1
G'day linlin,
For the first problem may I refer you to this discussion:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5715.0

For the second, I'm not quite sure what you mean...  Perhaps it is simply the final ending and the engraver has thus left it unnumbered...?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Hi Lawrie

Thanks for your help. I've recently installed an imaging programme which had a lot of fonts (unfortunately not the ones required for the special endings) and this caused a huge problem on my computer. For the moment, I'm reluctant to download any other fonts just in case. I'll give it a try in a week or so when I've completed work on a project which needs the imaging programme.

Thanks again

Reply #3
I still haven't resolved the special endings and wonder if there's any other way to go about it.

The music is 58 bars long. Bars 1 - 8 are sung once, at the beginning, so bar line 8/9 is a local repeat open. Then bar 9 to 32 are sung (bars 31 and 32 are only for the first verse)so bar line 32/33 is a local repeat close and the song goes back to bar 9.
All that plays okay. The problem arises from the 2nd verse....starting bar 9 - which should then stop at the end of bar 30 and skip to bar 33 when it should then play right through to bar 58.

I have put special ending 1 in bars 31 and 32 - that seems to have no effect at all as those bars are played again during the second verse, followed by bar 33 and onwards....
I then put a special ending 2 in bar 33 - that has two effects: it only plays to bar 32 then stops; and ties appear for the first notes in bar 33.

Can anyone help?

Reply #4
G'day linlin,
special endings do not work with local repeats.  For special endings to work you need to use master repeat open and close.

so...
clef, key, 4/4....|....|....|....|....|....|....|....||:....|....|.... etc to bar 30 ....|se1.:||se2.||....| etc. to bar 58 ||

all the repeats are master repeats.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Reply #5
Morning Lawrie

Thanks for coming to my aid (again).
I have put special ending 2 in bar 33 and replaced the local repeat close in bar 32/33 with a master repeat close. Now it seems to completely ignore the repeat and plays bars 31 and 32 then straight onto bar 33...and on.
So I'm still doing something wrong......

Reply #6
G'day linlin,
did you replace the local repeat open at bar 8/9 with a master repeat open?