Skip to main content
Topic: Ecossaises (Rondo) (Read 5468 times) previous topic - next topic

Ecossaises (Rondo)

I was looking through the NWC Scriptorium the other day, and I saw someone named Evan Caplinger had composed this piece:
NWC
It was better than most of the "Classical" pieces that were submitted to the Scriptorium.
The crazy part was that, apparently, the person was born 1997,
which would make him 9 years old, give or take 1 year, today!
Download the file and give your opinion, please.
Supported by The Brotherhood of Pandas

Re: Ecossaises (Rondo)

Reply #1
Just in case, I just went and checked the email to make sure that the DOB did say 1997.

It did !

Rich.

Reply #2
Quite a charming piece for any age, especially for a 9-year old!  I especially like the minor shading in the 6/4 section toward the end of Eco. 1 and the extra beats of rest before the last repetition of Eco. 1.  The little devil leaves us hanging for a moment or two, doesn't he!  I hope he will keep composing and submit more of his pieces to the Scriptorium.

Reply #3
I suspect that if the birth date is not a typo, the child has had some help, if only in the notation.  In support I ask, is this the English of a nine-year-old?:

Written Dec. 28, 2005  Late afternoon, like 3:00 or 4:00 pm - 7:05 pm
Rather than ending on the theme - it ends on the last eccosaise, which, by the way, is the only eccosaise that ends in 2/4 time, though the other 4/4 endings are not posted in clear print.  COMPELETELY finished at 1:04/5 pm, tommorow (or 8:41 pm today, for music)  Dynamics compeleted at 1:43, tommorow. (Tommorow meaning day after composistion was composed.)

Is it likely a nine-year-oid knows enough to use hidden time sigatures and dynamic markings or to use text to slash across the stem of a grace note as in measure 82?

Reply #4
I think that that's child discrimination! Are you implying that children don't know how to do these things?

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but I hate it when people propose that children can't do something an adult can solely on age.

I do think that if the child knows how to conpose such a thing, he wouldn't need to dictate his notes to an adult, though.

Reply #5
I think that that's child discrimination!
Guilty. 

Are you implying that children don't know how to do these things?

No.  Certainly there are child prodigies.  I have no opinion regarding the authorship of the music itself.  I do have doubts about its notation in NWC.  There were notation features used that take a long time to learn.  The language in the information window does not, to me, look like that language of a nine year old, no matter how precocious.  I think it is more likely that a proud parent, and rightly proud, may have notated the child's work in NWC. 

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but I hate it when people propose that children can't do something an adult can solely on age.

No need to apologize.  You make a good point, but, having been a kid once, having raised my own children, and having watched many nieces and nephews grow up, I don't think it is probable that a 9 year old would have done all the work of putting that particular score together.  I've given my reasons.

There's a difference between saying something is impossible and suggesting one should accept everything one reads on the web without question.  A lot of people, possibly even the occasional participant in this forum, use false identities, and a lot of simple typograhical errors don't get caught before messages are transmitted.

Reply #6
Thanks for being polite to my rudeness. I don't know what came over me. Anyways, I found another young one.  Daniel Abolafia. About 14 years today. Hmmmm, not as good as the Eccosaise, but still pretty good.
Here

Reply #7
I didn't consider your message to be rude, Archive.  You were expressing your views in a civilized manner.  It was a pleasure to respond to each of your points, which were valid.