Skip to main content
Topic: A request to the developers (Read 5262 times) previous topic - next topic

A request to the developers

I don't know quite where to ask this, but is there any chance of a modification of the toolbars to make  the Record/Play/Stop buttons larger?

It would be so much easier for my partner who is vision impaired - better still if they were not only larger but able to be moved around freely in the window, separately from the rest of the toolbar they are currently attached to.

Re: A request to the developers

Reply #1
I've never had need to do this, and I'm sitting at work without access to either version of NWC, but I'm fairly sure that you can modify the toolbars or even make up a new toolbar of your own so that you only have play and stop in it.

You can then also unlock the toolbars so that you can put your new toolbar where you want it to be.

At a guess - it will be View menu - then select toolbars. Then in there somewhere will be a customize option.

The only thing you won't be able to do is to enlarge the icons. But at least this will be a help. I believe that is is available in both versions.

I expect that someone else will jump in with the exact details soon.
Rich.

Reply #2
Gee Whillikers, Richard,  I just wrote virtually the same thing but moved to another screen for a moment and came back to find my message disappeared into limbo.  Trying to see if it accidentally got sent, I found you had replied too. 

Anyway, you're right - View/Toolbars/Toolbar List/ Customize/ New

Then make up a new one and just put the Record and Stop icons on it.  Next, create a second new one, put Play and Stop icons on that one.  These toolbars are fully dockable, so they can be placed where the user finds it convenient.

I wasn't able to see where the icons were stored in my Program Files NWC folders.  If they are to be found somewhere, it may be possible to add user-created icons to that folder and add them to the toolbars, but I'm just making a wild guess with this suggestion.

Reply #3
I wasn't able to see where the icons were stored in my Program Files NWC folders.  If they are to be found somewhere, it may be possible to add user-created icons to that folder and add them to the toolbars, but I'm just making a wild guess with this suggestion.

I think they're embedded in the NWC code.
Rich.

Reply #4
Changing screen resolution is the only way to make the toolbar icons larger.

The keyboard shortcuts might be another option. The Record, Play, and Stop buttons all have keyboard shortcuts (F4, F5, and F6).

See also:

Keyboard Guide
http://ntworthy.com/nwchelp/HELP_ONKEYBOARD.htm

Reply #5
Thanks so much for the advice folks.

I've made a custom toolbar that I can move around, so that part is great.

I was really hoping to find a way ( or put in a request ) to have these icons much larger since my other half doesn't like to use a keyboard any more than he has to. I am happy to use keyboard shortcuts but he is not very keyboard literate :-)

But at least he can park these few buttons where it is more convenient so that's a start.

:-)

Reply #6
If you have Windows XP (or maybe other Windows versions too), go to Start / Programs / Accessories / Accessibility and activate the Magnifier utility.   Not pretty, but functional.  Sort of.