Skip to main content
Topic: Muting Instruments (sound) (Read 6240 times) previous topic - next topic

Muting Instruments (sound)

How do you really "mute" a tuba or a trombone besides a trumpet? It doesn't sound great using the
muted trumpet sound" as a trombone or a tuba with a mute.

Oh, Brass instruments are not the only instruments with mutes, but strings too (I'm pretty sure you readers know that already). So is it possible to make a string instrument sound "mute" too? (eerie sound)

So any suggestions?

P.S.  Woodwinds aslo have mutes!

Re: Muting Instruments (sound)

Reply #1
...and piano too.

Reply #2
The only suggestion I have is to find a soundfont with the sounds you want.  They aren't in the GM spec...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Tell us more about mutes for woodwinds, please.  Which woodwinds?  How do the mutes work, since the instrument has a lot of toneholes?

Reply #4
David;
   I found a short bit on muted woodwinds at this link http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45335 it is at almost the bottom of the page at the end of the woodwind section. The first I ever heard of a mute for woodwinds. Rimsky-Korsakov does say that muting the clarinet is unnecessary. Personally I can't see a mute working real well on a woodwind either.
   The only time I have even tried anything close to it is an old trick of approximating a low A on a Barry sax without the low a key by stuffing your foot in the bell and playing a a low Bb.I used that technique on Flying Home.It only really works on a fast passage like that where the A is a quick passing note.

Regards
Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Reply #5
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the link.  You and I are on the same page on this. 

The Ellington sax men used to get the extra half tone lower by "playing into their leg."  Shortly after reading about the technique, some years ago, I attended a jazz and improv clinic.   Ross Taggart, a first-call tenor man and pianist in Vanouver, was one of the clinicians. 

I asked Ross to demonstrate the technique.  Since he was standing, he just raised his left leg, and bent his knee so his left calf was crossed in front of him, an inch or two in front of the bell.  Not only did he achieve the low note, he didn't fall over and he was still able to walk.

Clearly not only a far better musician than me, but also clearly much younger and fitter.  I can't do that sort of thing, and if I could, I'm sure I'd be in pain for days.

Whether you stuff your foot in the bell (you must also be younger and fitter than me, and have smaller feet), or put the bell against your leg, the change in tone is caused by changing the shape of the cone of sound waves that come out of the end of the bell.  There's some discussion of the physics on the web; if I can find it again I'll post the link.

Reply #6
Hi David;
   I have used the leg routine before also and it does take a bit of dexterity. I will admit to being MUCH younger when I did either. I will be 57 in a few weeks and would not want to try either at this point in my life. I'sn't it amazing the things we will do for our art.

Regards
Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Reply #7
Happy birthday in advance, Keith!  I'm 57 now, and regret it every morning (until I consider the alternative).

I don't know if my music would ever be called "art," but yes, looking back it's amazing how foolish we were when we were youngsters (by that I mean less than 40).

Reply #8
The technique also works on a penny whistle. Half-stop the end with your little finger (pinky) and you get the leading note below the supposed bottom (tonic) note.

Reply #9
And on the organ, you just stuff a spare altar boy into an open tibia ...
Registered user since 1996