Skip to main content
Topic: apply multiple note durations? (Read 3186 times) previous topic - next topic

apply multiple note durations?

I'm running into repetitive note durations in a measure: subsequent measures have exactly the same duration, but different notes. Is there a way to cut and paste only the durations onto a series of notes without applying the exact same notes?

For example: (a dotted eighth followed by a sixteenth) three times must appear a hundred times in the current transcription, in different voices and on different pitches. It would save me a lot of key punching if I could just lift the durations and apply them successively.

Frank

Re: apply multiple note durations?

Reply #1
G'day Frank,
For NWC2 there was a user tool called "NoteWhizzy" which IIRC did exactly this - you needed to have the correct number of notes in the right places but it would do the rest...

Otherwise, you can still copy the bars, highlight and <Ctrl-Shift-Up/Dn Arrow>.  A little more tedious but easier that completely rekeying everything.

This is the readme from the NoteWhizzy distro:

NoteWhizzy - NoteWorthy Composer 2 User Tool
          (C) Copyright 2004, by Mike Wiering, Wiering Software

Description       

NoteWhizzy is a plug-in for NoteWorthy Composer, that enables you to easily
copy articulation / rhythm / slurs / dynamics / etc. from one bar to the bars
after it. This can help you to enter music much faster when you have lots of
bars that look similar, except for different notes.

Installation

Unzip this file to a new folder on your harddrive, for example C:\NoteWhizzy.
In NoteWorthy Composer, add a new User Tool (Alt+F8, New...). For Name type
"NoteWhizzy" and for Command type "c:\NoteWhizzy\NoteWhizzy.exe" (without the
quotes).

License

NoteWhizzy is copyrighted software by Wiering Software. This first version is
available free of charge. See the file LICENSE.TXT which is also included in
the ZIP file. We might be adding lots of new features in the future. Depending
on the time spent on this project, future versions might be licensed as
shareware.

Wiering Software - http://www.wieringsoftware.nl/
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
(a dotted eighth followed by a sixteenth) three times must appear a hundred times in the current transcription
You might try this <link>
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
RE: NoteWhizzy: it looks like this only applies a given set of durations from the beginning of a staff sequence to selected immediately subsequent measures, whereas I have a pattern I'd like to apply any where in the score and on unconnected measures.

For example: maesure 7 in the soprano voice first uses the pattern for the melody line, it repeats in 2 subsequent measures (and NoteWhizzy does it's job), but then the pattern repeats in measure 12 through 14 and I don't see how I can apply the pattern without reselecting it in measure 12 and running the whole thing again. Further, the pattern is then taken up by the tenors in measure 23 through 25.

If I understand it properly, it's not a simple cut and paste and paste again, etc., so it doesn't save me all that much - 7 clicks for NoteWhizzy vs 8 or 10 clicks to do it manually on each of the 3 bar repeats.

To really save me any significant number of strokes, it would let me select the pattern once and just apply everywhere I needed it. Even if I had to select each measure each time, it would save 3 strokes per instance for this case, vs one or two per group as it seems to work.

RE: RickG's link: again I may not be understanding exactly what the macro does, but it looks like a cut&paste workaround. Please correct me if it will actually do what I describe above, that is apply a pattern to any similar group of notes anywhere in a multi-voice score.

Thanks,

Frank

Reply #4
RE: RickG's link: again I may not be understanding exactly what the macro does, but it looks like a cut&paste workaround. Please correct me if it will actually do what I describe above, that is apply a pattern to any similar group of notes anywhere in a multi-voice score.
No, it won't do that, but it may help you get past your 8th,Dottted 16th problem
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
G'day Frank,
you are quite correct in how NoteWhizzy works.  I had the impression from your description that most of the bars needing the repeated ryhthmic were connected which is why I suggested it.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.