Skip to main content
Topic: Human Voices (Read 5630 times) previous topic - next topic

Human Voices

There are a number of synthetic simulations of the human voice in various sound fonts - Chorus Ooh's for example - but none of them sound realistic to me. Is there some font somewhere which can be used to provide good SATB for replay of things like Messiah choruses?

Tony

Re: Human Voices

Reply #1
G'day Tony,
there doesn't seem to be a lot of good voice patches out there, but I did find one once that wasn't too awful.

'twas in a soundfont called "My Own".  Trouble is I don't remember where I downloaded it from...  May have been that contest site that you find the Merlin ones at...

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks, Laurie, for your usual prompt help.
Follwing up your lead I eventually tracked down the font you mentioned - with a few dead ends on the way. Interestingly Hammersounds had a font of bass voices; there were three reviews, all of which soundly trashed it!
But the font I am looking for is

My Own 1.2
Mar-20-2004
23M sfpack, 48M sf2"
by Karl Wittenburg

Unfortunately try as I might I cannot get it to download

Tony

Reply #3
Try downloading Virtual Singer, it is part of Harmony Assistant or Melody Assistant I think and there is a Trial Shareware that works.It imports a midi made with NWC and Lyrics, and makes a synthetic voice. Not the best all the time but with a lot of detail - formants and decays etc can be changed. Sometimes you have to 'cheat ' and make phonetic lyrics. Quite useful for learning CDs - exports to .wav or .mp3. Cheaper than the BIG GUNS that cost bout $700

Reply #4
But the font I am looking for is

My Own 1.2
Mar-20-2004
23M sfpack, 48M sf2"
by Karl Wittenburg

Unfortunately try as I might I cannot get it to download

What you need to do is go here :  http://karl-h-wittenburg.com/musik/bodsou.htm
But do not try to click and download the reference on the right hand window. It doesn't work.
Instead click the left hand small navigation window - on the item that reads My_Own_FE

The soundfont will then download in the normal fashion.

Rich.

Reply #5
Richard,

Many thanks for your advice; I have now downloaded the font and am off to try it out.
The Music Contest site was quite frustrating; whilst informing me that I was registered, it refused to recognise any combinations of user name and password that I might have used, and would not let me make a new registration, but the site has no means whatsoever of  contacting anyone to sort it out!

Tony

Reply #6
G'day Tony,
have you received a PM from me?  I sent one a couple of days ago and I'm not sure if you got it...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Lawrie.
Good day to you

I have been remiss in  not looking to see if I had any pm's so have just read yours and will be acting on it. Having downloaded Karl Wittenburg's 'My_Own 1.2' font., I think that his 'Real Voice' may be capable of doing what I want  but there is still scope for a better one!

Tony