Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI recording question (Read 3606 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI recording question

I was trying to record a song using my Yamaha digital piano (with MIDI in/out), but all it shows on the screen are notes with the same time value (i.e. all whole notes, or all quarter notes...etc.)no matter what length of the note I played.  Does Noteworthy record notes that are played in different rhythm, or do I have to manually change that on screen?  Please advice.  Thanks.

Re: MIDI recording question

Reply #1
G'day Polarj,
you can record in "step time" - what you've just done, or you can record "real time".

To do this you need to create a click track of some kind.  When you hit record, NWC will play this track and you can record against it.

I'm short of time at the moment - wife's calling me for dinner :) - but if you do a search of this forum on the subject you'll come across quite a lot of discussion, and even a sample "click track" file IIRC.

Sorry, I've gotta rush...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
I wish I could figure out how to set it to step time, whenever I try to record, I end up with (examples following...)

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-6^|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:-6|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th,Dotted|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Rest|Dur:16th
|Note|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:-2
|Rest|Dur:32nd
|Note|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:1^|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
instead of
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:-6
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:-4
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:-2
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

If you're going to do it the way I'm doing, be prepared to suffer for your art. ;-)

Reply #4
Thanks y'all.  I'm sensing tough road ahead... coz I do improvisation on both hands at the same time.  Don't know if I could set up these complicated things BEFORE I start playing the music...

Reply #5
G'day polarj,
so have a click track set to 'ppp' so's ya can't hear it.  Improv all ya like.  NWC will simply try to fit it into the bars that result from the click track so you'll get a lot of funny length notes and wierd ties but at least you'll have it down.

Then you can decide whether you actually want to keep it and if so then you'll still have some work to do but at least you'll know the 'intent'...

Reply #6
G'day Kahman,
I understand your problem...  'bout the only thing I can think of is if someone very good at 'fuzzy logic' were to take a hand and write some very clever MIDI recording software that can somehow figure out what your intent was rather than what you actually recorded...

You know, take the MIDI stream and analyse it in context.  That way it could do things like figure out whether the note was just loud or accented instead, hopefully make a good guess at staccato, detect things like tempo variations etc..

A nice little pipe dream I think...