Skip to main content
Topic: Level headed beams? (Read 7384 times) previous topic - next topic

Level headed beams?

Why is it that when notes are stem down, beams follow the line of notes, but when they're stem up, the beams are level?

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:-11|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-11|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:#-10|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:-9|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Text|Text:"9"|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:16|Justify:Right|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-8|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-7|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-5|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:b-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Text|Text:"----------------------------------- \|"|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:15|Justify:Right|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Text|Text:"\|-----------------------------------"|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:15
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:#-3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:b3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:#4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Text|Text:"----------------------------------- \|"|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:15|Justify:Right|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Re: Level headed beams?

Reply #1
I can tell you the factors that influence this:

• accidentals under the beam (causing a shift that can reduce beam angle)
  • note intervals between beam members
  • number of stem flags (32nd notes will tend to trigger a NWC2 effort to keep stem lengths down)
  • stem direction (influences collision possibilities with the interior note heads)

At the end of the day, you might need to force a stem direction length to get a desired beam angle.

Reply #2
At the end of the day, you might need to force a stem direction to get a desired beam angle.

Did you mean to say that ?
Either way, forcing a change to the stem length on one of the end notes will force a slope and modification of the length will get a desired angle with the stem direction in the way that you want it.

Code: [Select · Download]
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:-11|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=11,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-11|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:#-10|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:-9|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-8|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-7|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-5|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:b-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Text|Text:"\|-----------------------------------"|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:15
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:#-3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n-1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:b3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:n3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:#4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
Rich.

Reply #3
I sometimes do override the stem length to influence the slope, but I guess I hadn't noticed the pattern before.  The piece I'm working on has the two runs side by side, and the thickness of the beams made the slope difference really stand out.

Interesting anomaly, and with the override, no big deal.  

Thanks Rich and Eric.

I always find changing the stem length a little tedious.  It would be nice if we didn't have to check the override box before entering a number, and if there was visual indicator in the note properties tab to tell the user what the "default" length is. it wouldn't be a matter of trial and error.   As it is, one has to guess if an entry such as 5 or 13 will make it shorter or longer, view the result, then 
||: [move] open the note properties again, alter the number, check the result [/move] :||

Reply #4
if there was visual indicator in the note properties tab to tell the user what the "default" length is. it wouldn't be a matter of trial and error. 

100% agree !

Rich.

Reply #5
This might be possible if only a single note is selected. The display properties could be queried to determine the currently visible note length.

In general, though, in the absence of a user override, a note doesn't have a stem length until it is visually rendered. This is why nothing is shown in the box.

Reply #6
... in the absence of a user override, a note doesn't have a stem length until it is visually rendered. This is why nothing is shown in the box.

In the absence of a user override, a note sometimes has a non integer stem length (e.g. 5.5).
The spin box routine would need to be like the one in Page Setup->Margins.

It would be a large improvement if NWC2 allowed decimal stem length and note/accidental spacing. Negative note/accidental spacing would help as well.

A negative stem length could indicate Stem=Down.  This might simplify User Tools.

just dreaming ....
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
I posed this question back on June 25,2004 in topic 4259.  https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4259.0

My suggestion was to start a 0 for the default length then go 1, 2, 3, etc. for a longer stem or -1, -2, -3, etc. for a shorter stem.  This would be a more user friendly approach for this problem.  I think I also put this on the Wish List at the same time.

Reply #8
I'm liking the idea of  negative numbers for note/accidental spacing. It would make it easier to align characters from Boxmarks and Lawrie's Swing Dings. It would be nice to have the option.

Reply #9
a note doesn't have a stem length until it is visually rendered

I think an unflagged / unbeamed stem normally has a value of 7 (i.e. the vertical distance of an octave).    If it's not practical to show the stem length in the choice window, perhaps Eric would consider just adding the phrase "default size = 7" immediately below the words Override Stem Length in the note properties screen grey area?

My suggestion was to start a 0 for the default length then go 1, 2, 3, etc. for a longer stem or -1, -2, -3, etc. for a shorter stem.  This would be a more user friendly approach for this problem.

I like this idea.  There's a tradeoff, if you need to see the description of the note in order to decide what length you need to use elsewhere.  

Reply #10
I think an unflagged / unbeamed stem normally has a value of 7

This clip should alter your thinking.
Code: [Select · Download]
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-8
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-8|Opts:StemLength=8
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Up
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:6|Opts:Stem=Up
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:6|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Up
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=5
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:8|Opts:Stem=Up
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:8|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=5
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:9|Opts:Stem=Up
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:9|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=5
Also, if you put this clip on a staff with 16 lines, you may see that the default lengths are not always whole numbers.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #11
Rick is correct, not all stems are born the same length.  This is why I believe that starting at with a default of 0, no matter where the note is located on the staff, then allowing for positive or negative adjustments, would be more user friendly.  Similar to the Staff Position adjustment for Expression Placement.

Reply #12
Using Rick's example, I  see what you mean. 

Carl, I often use a headless, muted note with stem length = 0, as an anchor for a comping slash.  How do you see this working if we start with zero as the default, and know (now) that the stem length is indeed different depending on the note placement and stem direction?

Reply #13
Carl, I often use a headless, muted note with stem length = 0, as an anchor for a comping slash.  How do you see this working if we start with zero as the default, and know (now) that the stem length is indeed different depending on the note placement and stem direction?

David, I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "comping slash" in conjunction with a headless note.  Could you give me a coded sample?  I think in all situations that starting at "0" and then extending the stem length with positive number and reducing the length with negative number until the stem disappears would be a more user friendly approach to this feature.  I'm not a programer, so I don't know how difficult the would be to code.

Reply #14
Hi, Carl,

Here's a bar of comping slashes.  There would normally be a chord symbol over it (I didn't copy that because I use the lyric method for chord symbols).  The player strums or plucks on the slashes.

|Bar
|Text|Text:"BbX"|Font:User4|Pos:12|Wide:Y|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Text|Text:" / "|Font:User3|Pos:-2|Wide:Y|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0z|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=0
|Bar

In this case, I used Swingdings for userfont 3, but virtually any font that has a forward slash would do, especially in a large size, bold and italic.  I beileve the entire staff is muted, but you could mute each note by itself.  It's no big deal, once you've got the first set of slash/headless stemless note, you just copy it to fill the bar, then copy the bar to the extent needed.

It's probably 6 of one or half a dozen of the other, but I'd rather start by knowing I could achieve the no stem by entering zero, than have to figure out whether I need -6, -7, -8, etc. (which just changes the current problem to its mirror image). 

I can live with whatever concensus persuades Eric to do.  However, if there is only one note highlighted, it would be really nice if its size (base zero or base actual) were to be displayed so the user would know how far up or down to resize it. 

Or maybe just another choice altogether - a little box to check that says "no stem."  If we had something like that, I would be fully in support of your suggestion.

Reply #15
Ah, now I see what you mean by comping slashes.  I guess this is used for guitar and jazz works.  This is something I doubt I would ever use, since I’m still stuck in the classical era still.  I like the idea of a “No Stem” button.  Actually, before Eric plays with this problem, I would rather see some improvements elsewhere.  The program is really great as is, but some user friendly convenient features such as a Layering toggle button and a Preview toggle button would be nice instead of going to the drop-down menu.  This is something I use all the time. 

I also think that slurs could be better placed, especially those that are presently at the stem ends.  The way they are placed now looks awful, especially those with articulations.  The slur is rooted in awkward position below the stem and takes up a lot of room between staves.  They should be closer to the note heads like you see in professional printing.  I’ll stop now.

Carl

Reply #16
Yes, the slurs need improvement for sure. 

My complaint about the zero note stem thing is it's just very difficult to adjust the stem length, zero or otherwise.  It requires too many movements from mouse to keyboard and back.  Since I use it to finalize the appearance of notation before printing, I can be using it several times on each staff for several staffs.  I would rate it as a medium priority item.

(I, too,  had never seen comping slashes until I started copying jazz charts.)