Skip to main content
Topic: Transposition Playback (Read 3710 times) previous topic - next topic

Transposition Playback

Greetings all:

I usually don't have a problem changing the playback when I transpose a piece of music, but I now have a choral piece I'm working on and have repeatedly tried to get it to play back as written/transposed, but it won't change over.  Is there a "bug" or fix that anyone knows of?  We're supposed to start working on this piece this week and so far...no luck.  Solutions would be lovely.

Thanks so much!

Kolinka (Coleen)

Re: Transposition Playback

Reply #1
G'day Kolinka,
at a guess the visible staff is not the one that's actually playing (the audible one is probably hidden)... Maybe?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I have a hunch that when you transposed it, Kolinka, you had the "update staff playback transposition" button selected.  That's used for playing back while you transpose parts to print for the transposing instruments, but it should be turned off if you want your playback to follow the change in the written notes.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to transpose the staff back, still with the update staff playback box checked, to get back to the original key and notes, then  just redo the transposition with the box not checked.

Another way is to calculate how many semitones you had transposed, then enter that in the Staff Properties / Instrument tab (use F2 to get there).  That may require a little trial and error, but it's not going to take a lot of time or effort. 

Reply #3
I bet David's hunch is much better than my guess...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Yup, David was right!  I had the "Update staff playback transposition" on.  Followed his suggestion and everything is playing back as it should  Thanks so much to all for your input.

Coleen

Reply #6
Followed his suggestion and everything is playing back as it should 

I've learned from my own mistakes... glad to be able to help.