Skip to main content
Topic: Top Staff Excluded Positioning? (Read 4383 times) previous topic - next topic

Top Staff Excluded Positioning?

In the same piece as all my other woes, I am once again limited by NWC2.  Under visibility, it has Top Staff only, but no Top Staff Excluded.

This is useful in multi-part scores where the parts are also printed individually, such as I have a trill that is the right length in the full score, but it extends a measure further then it should in the individual part.

Re: Top Staff Excluded Positioning?

Reply #1
Try this as a workaround:

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|MPC|Controller:pitch|Style:Linear Sweep|TimeRes:Thirtysecond|SweepRes:183|Pt1:2,12692|Pt2:3,8256|Pos:5
|Text|Text:"Tr ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:17
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:11^
|Bar
|Text|Text:"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:17|Justify:Right
|Bar
|Bar
|Text|Text:"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:17|Justify:Right
|Note|Dur:4th,Accent|Pos:11
|TempoVariance|Style:Allargando|Pos:-9
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Rest|Dur:Half
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

The font is Times New Roman, Bold Italic, size 6

Reply #2
Pasted your example and put a blank staff on top.

Result:  Quite Strange; possibly a bug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tr~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
was at the top.

Reply #3
Try this:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Text|Text:"Tr ~~~~~"|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:17
|Bar
|Text|Text:"~~~~~~~~~~ "|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:17|Justify:Right
|Bar
|Bar
|Text|Text:"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:17|Justify:Right
|Note|Dur:4th,Accent|Pos:11
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

(These are using a new file with the NWC2 default settings - staff metrics =16, the Small Text font is 8).

The overlap was likely caused by me copying from a file in which I forgot I had changed the staff metric setting to 10 because I was producing a score and needed to fit a full concert band score layout on a single page.  This is probably the same reason my example of three hash marks didn't work for you.

Mea culpa, sigh.

Anyhow, my workaround uses a somewhat shorter Tr~~~~~~~ initially, then to make sure it ends at the right place, use a second text string of ~~~~~~~~ of whatever length you desire, right justified, at the ending note.  They will overlap, allowing for some flexibility in the length of the trill symbols.  The centre set of ~~~~~~~ is just padding to make sure there is no gap, since it will overlap with the initial and final sets of squiggles.  Just adjust the number of squiggles to meet your needs.

Reply #4
Is there some mysterious reason that there can't be a built-in trill sign? I understand that all trills are not created equal and the use of a hidden staff is necessary for playback, however a simple tr and a short horizontal squiggle that could be entered as many times as necessary to make it as long or short as needed seems like it could be done. With all the other complexities in the program, I'm just sayin'. Same for the tremolo character. It seems that that one could even be done to playback without hidden staves.

Reply #5
however a simple tr and a short horizontal squiggle that could be entered as many times as necessary
It could extend itself to fit, so I wouldn't even need this.

Reply #6
Now you see, you're way ahead of me there. Shoot for the moon!

Reply #7
I forgot to mention that several user fonts have proper trill signs and proper extension squiggles.  Lawrie's Swingdings is one, but I know there are several.

I too would like to see a trill function that correctly displays a squiggle for the appropriate distance.  It may happen one day; certainly it was nice to see hairpins when they arrived, and the concept is similar. 

I also would like to see the horizontal line in the special endings extend to the following repeat mark on all endings except the final one, where I would like to see it default to just under one bar, with an option to extend if needed.  I would like to see a glissando sign (the crinkly line ascending or descending at an angle, starting at/near one notehead and ending at the next, and I would like to have a horizontal line that could be solid, dashed or dotted that could be anchored at one end or the other to indicate the duration of 8va's, etc.

However, I can live with what we have, since the magic of NWC is the flexible group of workarounds created by so many users.  Eric is to be thanked for developing the extras that make the workarounds possible.

I