Skip to main content
Topic: NOTE SPACING PROBLEM (Read 3308 times) previous topic - next topic

NOTE SPACING PROBLEM

There appears to be a problem in the spacing between a whole note and half note occupying the same line.  You'll notice in the Treble Clef the spacing is correct.

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:F#,C#
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-7,-4|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:-7
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:#-5,-3|Opts:Stem=Up
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-4,-2|Opts:Stem=Up
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

However, in the Bass Clef they are too close together.  They overlap each other.

|Clef|Type:Bass
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Down,Slur=Upward|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:4
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Down

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this?

Re: NOTE SPACING PROBLEM

Reply #1
Hi Carl:

What you're seeing is one effect of the behaviour (rule?) for placing notes of different value into the same chord.  In the upper chord, you started with a two half-note upward stem chord, then added a stem-down whole note.  It sits nicely on the opposite side of the stem.  In the lower chord, you started with a stem-down half note, then added the stem-up whole note, which also sits on the opposite side of the stem, but isn't what you want/need.

Extra Note Spacing and Layered Staff will allow the whole note in the bass clef chord to appear to the right of the half note notehead.  Enter the whole note in a new, layered staff.  Set its properties to Extra Note Spacing = 1.

A picture is worth a thousand words.  Copy these clips to separate clefs, then layer them.

First bass clef:
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Down

Second bass clef:
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:4|Opts:XNoteSpace=1

One more example of why Noteworthy is a great program, eh?

Reply #2
Hi David:

I see what you mean, however, I am doing a piece of some length, and this is the only note that would need layering, and I was trying to avoid that.  I was hoping there was a way to add extra note spacing to the stem down half note the add the whole note by the Ctrl Enter feature, which would not have the extra note spacing characteristic, but that dosen't work.  Maybe something for the Wish List.

Thanks,

Carl

Reply #3
Would adding [shadow=gray,left]invisible[/shadow][/color] half rests solve your problem?

Reply #4
Hi K.A.T.:

No, adding a rest will not help because the duration space will apply between the first note and the rest and the note will be placed under the rest not matter how short the rest is in duration.  The two notes are to be played simultaneously.  I've added this to the Wish List, maybe something will come from that, hopefully.

Thanks,

Carl

Reply #5
Generally when I do that, I use ties, so if I were you, I'd do it like so:
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:4^
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-3,4|Opts:Stem=Down