Skip to main content
Topic: harmony/chords used in brass section GM 62 (Read 5017 times) previous topic - next topic

harmony/chords used in brass section GM 62

Hello everybody !

what is the harmony used in the brass section MIDI 62 to sound like this ? (triad, triad + octave, triad + octave + sixth ?)
In fact I would like to make chords starting from a midi file that contains a channel  with the GM midi 62 sound (brass section).
Thanks !

Re: harmony/chords used in brass section GM 62

Reply #1
What the ?

Reply #3
To accomplish this, you must eliminate the second triad + octave, and add an augmented 7th + octave above the third triad (triad, triad + octave, + sixth, triad + augmented 7th + octave).

With regard to the MIDI file you must set the channel to 31 and score the MIDI with an additional octave, i.e., channel 31 + channel 31 octave (31 + 31 = 62) and this will give you the desired sound.  You can hide the 2nd channel (31 + octave) to get the right "look" when you print.  Note:  If you try to go directly to channel 62 with this setup, then you will initiate a very annoying dynamic harmonic instability on playback that may damage your sound card.

Oh, yes, I nearly forgot.  You must save this as a Type 0 MIDI.

Reply #4
Heh Heh!

Reply #5
Debo,
tsk tsk
:)

Polmila, I stand to be corrected but AFAIK there are no "automagic" harmonies in the brass section.  While it is possible that some soundfonts may use an octave shift to add fullness with some of the combined sounds I do not know if this is actually done.

If you score an F, you get an F.  No triads, no octaves, no sixths, no minor (or major) 3rds, no fifths, just an F that should sound as if several horns are playing it together.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
Thanks for you reply !
I will try the solution of Debo.
Just a precision I would like to make a score (for example for 3 or 4 players of a trumpet section of a band and then to have 3 or 4 different voices) starting from the score of the brass section sound (GM 62 is just 1 voice) That's the reason why I must find chords to sound like this.

Reply #7
"With regard to the MIDI file you must set the channel to 31 and score the MIDI with an additional octave, i.e., channel 31 + channel 31 octave (31 + 31 = 62) and this will give you the desired sound.  You can hide the 2nd channel (31 + octave) to get the right "look" when you print.  Note:  If you try to go directly to channel 62 with this setup, then you will initiate a very annoying dynamic harmonic instability on playback that may damage your sound card."

Polmila, Debo is being a little bit impish and "pulling your leg".  MIDI only has 16 channels!  Lawrie Pardy gave you a serious answer, but I'm sure Debo meant no harm, since the only "instability" is in his tongue-in-cheek post, and the only way you can damage your sound card is to fry your power supply with lightning!

Reply #8
Milton, of course, is correct.

I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my levity.

Reply #9
G'day Debo,
mate, I was most amused.  'Tis a shame Polmila isn't familiar enough with MIDI to pick up on it and enjoy the humour - I reckon it was great fun!  Channel 62 indeed - wish I was quick enough to spot things like that.

:)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.