Skip to main content
Topic: Partial layering (Read 9419 times) previous topic - next topic

Partial layering

I frequently find that I need to provide a layer for a relatively small part of a piece where the standard notation causes problems. is it possible to provide a layered staff for, say bars 25-22 only, or is this asking too much of the program?
Tony

Re: Partial layering

Reply #1
It's asking too much. Afraid it's the whole staff or nothing. You can at least just do as far as you need and then not bother about the rest.  Make sure with the layered staff that the ending bar is configured as Open (hidden).

A floating layer just for one or two measures would be good though. I has been "wished" for.

Rich.

Reply #2
I've thought of this kind of feature while composing, and I think a good alternative would maybe be a user tool that could insert the proper number of rests up until the current measure, including time signitures. That seems to be the biggest pain when adding only a measure with layers in the middle of a piece. I would attempt to write a user tool, but I don't have the ability to do so. Is it possible?

Reply #3
It isn't worth the trouble of making a user tool. 

Just enter a hidden whole rest and a hidden bar line at the beginning of the new staff.  Highlight the two elements, Control-P to copy it to your clipboard, move to the end of that bar, and hold down the Control and V keys for a couple of seconds. 

You'll find you have more than enough empty bars quickly, with perhaps 10 key strokes.  Just go to where you want the add the layered notes, and enter them. 

When you're finished, go to the bar that corresponds to the end of piece, and press Delete.  Hold it down. 

Presto! you're done.

Reply #4
That only works if you don't have any repeats, changes of time signature, changes of key signature, double bars in the middle of measures, changes of clef, etc. and so forth.

In general one whacks in some random number of whole-rest bars, then goes back to the beginning and scans for mis-matches of bar lines between the to-be-layered staff and the new staff, fixing things as one goes.  Including getting the dynamics correct at the point of the layered bit.  All in all, not that simple.

I guess you could leave out the clef and key signature changes, but then you still have to hunt backwards to find the ones which are in effect at the time of the layered measure.  It's simpler (IMHO) just do them while you are doing all the rest.

Reply #5
I did actually write a user tool that copies the selected part of the staff, removes all the notes and leaves the correct amount of rests, plus all the repeats, key changes etc.
Unfortunately, before you rush to ask me for it, I started fiddling and broke it again! One day, I'll resurrect it.
Robin

Reply #6
Here you are. Change the file extension to vbs, then install as a script with the name : Empty Bars and the command: WScript Scripts\EmptyBars.vbs

The tool converts a selection (or more usefully the whole staff if nothing is selected) to bars with invisible rests. Just copy the staff you are working on and empty it!

Reply #7
Peter,

I will try your method.

Tony

Reply #8
Good Script Peter

Thanks
Rich.