Skip to main content
Topic: Got problems with Audigy 4 sound card (Read 2488 times) previous topic - next topic

Got problems with Audigy 4 sound card

Hi Guys,
Does anyone run an Audigy 4 sound card without problem? I have been using SB Live 5.1 for some time without problem. When I upgraded to Audigy 4 I started get static popping, cymbal and drum beats and all sorts of sounds when keying in notes. There is no pattern to frequency, type of sound that occurs, etc, but if I have the sound up loud boy it scares the cr*p out of me!
Anyone got any ideas? Creative have been no help to me what so ever!! (surprise, surprise)
Cheers,
Grant

Re: Got problems with Audigy 4 sound card

Reply #1
It may not be your sound card.

Are you inputting on a staff set to Channel 10?  If so, you're getting percussion noises on note entry.

You can change the instrument and midi channel for the active staff using F2, and hear real notes on note entry, or you can go to Tools/Options/Midi and turn off the Play on Note Entry.

This is on the assumption you're using NWC2.  I don't think playing on note entry occurs with version 1.75b

Reply #2
Thanks for your suggestions. I am using Ver 1.75b. My staff is set at Channel 1. The only difference in my system since the problem began is the new card. NWC is the same version I was using before changing the card. When I put back the SB Live 5.1 card I don't have the problem. When I put the Audigy 4 card in, the problem returns.

Reply #3
This could be a setup/driver problem with your new card, a fault in the new hardware, or some other issue. In general, you should focus on the device drivers until you are sure that this is not the issue.

Reply #4
This is from the creative knowledge base. It may give some ideas :

Static, noise, humming, or other poor sound quality 

Remove all unnecessary hardware to free up resources
Disable all unused on-board devices (e.g. onboard sound, serial ports)
System Performance: Try a more moderate setting if your system is set up for maximum performance. (possible settings: "Turbo", "Optimal", "Normal", etc.)
VGA Shared Memory Size: Try increasing this if you have an onboard graphics card
AGP Aperture Size (MB): Set this to half the system's RAM or lower
Peer Concurrency: Toggle this setting
PCI 2.1 Support: PCI 2.1 must be enabled
Spread Spectrum Control: Toggle this setting
PCI Latency Timer: Try different values, starting with 32
Memory Hole: Toggle this setting
AGP Fast Writes: Enable this setting if your graphics card supports it
PNP(Plug and Play) Aware OS: Try setting this to No
Update the BIOS of your system, if none of the above steps solve the problem
Try lowering the Hardware Acceleration of the Graphics Card:
Windows 9x:
Right-click on My Computer, choose Properties - Performance - Graphics (set down 1 notch, then restart the system; if necessary, repeat procedure)

Windows XP/2000:
Right-click on your desktop, choose Properties - Settings - Advanced - Troubleshoot (set down 1 notch, then restart the system; if necessary, repeat procedure

If you are using Windows 98 SE or later, you can disconnect the analog CD Audio cable connected from your CD-ROM drive or other drives to the sound card. You can also disconnect or mute the microphone
Rich.