Skip to main content
Topic: i really really need help on two things (Read 2172 times) previous topic - next topic

i really really need help on two things

hey guys,

i'm new to this program so i was wondering if noteworthy made scores of a midi file, and they were all different, how would you transpose it all to c major, even though you don't know what instrument it is.

for example, if the midi file had a bas guitar in it, and you don't know how to transpose it to c major (or the same key as the piano), is there a way to automaticlly transpose it so it will be piano, or will i have to research on the instrument and find out how much i have to tone it down or up so it will be in the same key for piano.

i need to know this because i play E flat alto sax and i've been very bored with the music i play at school (mostly classic) and i want to play some music that i like. the thing is that i saved the midi file and opened it with note worthy and none of the instruments being played are alto sax's =(. so i'm wondering if theres a way that i can transpose every instrument into piano so i  can transpose it to fit alto sax?

if it's confusing or don't make sense then tell me =D

thanks in advance

Re: i really really need help on two things

Reply #1
Not quite sure what the question is Leroy but here are some things that might help.

When you import a midi file, it should already have a key. in order to transpose it to another key, you should first of all, force all the accidentals to show for that staff. (From the tools menu)

You can then use the transpose option (from the tools menu) to transpose the whole staff up or down a number of semitones.

So if you are trying to get the piece of music into C major, you will then need to add or subtract the number of semitones depending on the key of the piece of music you have imported.

If you're not sure - experiment with increasing numbers (and then undo) until you reach the key of C. (At this stage, I would make sure that the "Update staff play back transposition" box is unchecked.

The Alto Sax is tuned 9 semitones down and so you may need to make further adjustments depending on what it is you are trying to achieve.

You may now need to make playback sound as if it were being played by an Alto Sax.
Here are some additional guidance notes.
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/usertips/29.htm

If this doesn't answer your question at all, then sorry - perhaps I don't understand.

Rich.