Skip to main content
Topic: backbeat, et al (Read 3897 times) previous topic - next topic

backbeat, et al

I have a jazz band [swing band/dance band/jazz ensemble...] chart in which the drum part indicates "backbeat" at one point, "heavy backbeat" at another, and "soft drive" at another.  What am I supposed to enter in these sections?  I was once told that a backbeat has snare on 1 & 3 and bass on 2 & 4.  Is that right?  And what about the "soft drive" section?  I'm clueless on that one.

TIA

Hey, where's the spellchecker?

Re: backbeat, et al

Reply #1
The backbeat would generally be a heavier pulse on 2 and 4.  You could emulate it in playback by placing an invisible dynamic marking in front of each note.  So on 1 and 3, use piano, visibility never, and on 2 and 4, use forte

For notating it, you could simply put the style of the piece at the beginning (i.e., "Rock") and then rely on the experience of your drummer to know how to play it.

Reply #2
Thanks, David.
That does clarify a few things.
I would have thanked you sooner, but the little "new" icon wasn't showing; I thought no one had answered...)

Reply #3
Glad to help, K A T.  Does your group play any Ellington? 

Reply #4
Yup.
We've got Caravan
It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing)
Do Nothin’ Till You Hear from Me
Don’t Get Around Much Anymore
Satin Doll
Sophisticated Lady

(We might have more, but they don't say Ellington on them.)

Reply #6
Thanks, David.
This is a good resource.
I had gotten the 2001 version from a band director in the town of Ellington (no kidding), and is was of tremendous help back then.
Now I am in a new band, and I am building the library from [glow=red,2,300][shadow=yellow,left]scratch[/shadow][/glow]...