Skip to main content
Topic: Adding a staff for only a few measures (Read 4929 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding a staff for only a few measures

I am transcribing a 4-part vocal piece and I need to do two things:

In several areas, one of the voice parts splits into two and I need to add a staff for only those few measures.

From earlier posts it looks like the only way to add a staff for part of a composition is to do it manually in Word only for printout purposes...

Is there still no workaround in Noteworthy for this issue?

Re: Adding a staff for only a few measures

Reply #1
G'day Erica

Is there still no workaround in Noteworthy for this issue?

In a word, no.  Sorry I couldn't bring cheerier news...

I also note you've edited your message, I take it this means you've discovered how to chord (stack) the notes you needed to?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Yes, I figured out the control/enter to stack notes.  But I couldn't always get this to work if the notes were of different durations, so I ended up adding another staff for the entire composition.

Any tips?

Reply #3

You can have as many combinations of the same value note as you like and you can also have stems in different directions.
You can have up to two differing values of note in a chord. One value with stems up and the other value with stems down
Remember that if one of the note values is a whole note, this has a stem direction even though it doesn't have a stem
You can chord notes with a single rest so long as -
  1) You enter the rest first before the notes  (a rest has a stem direction as well)
  2) The value of the note is more than or the same as the value of the rest (In version 1.75 it has to be more than the rest value)
  3)  If you want the note/rest chord to have articulations, these must be set up before the note is added to make the chord. You cannot add them afterwards.
  4) It is not possible to have two rests in a chord. (If you have a staff for two instruments and you need to do this then perhaps layering is the way forward).
  5) If you want the rest in a chord to be in a different position than where it automatically comes out, then you should alter the vertical position of the rest before you add the note. This effectively means that you can have a chord with a stem up note and still have a rest above the note (useful trick)

Here's a funny for those interested followed by a bit of magic for those interested in that.

Funny.
Create new file and new staff. Hold down ALT and press enter to get to the staff properties.
Go to the visual tab and change the vertical size to something like 25.  Click OK.
Enter a treble clef if you want. Enter quarter rest tail down. Highlight rest
Hold down ALT and press enter to go to properties
In the vertical offset enter 16.  It errors doesn't it. Change the value to 15
Rest moves above the staff. While rest is still highlighted, hold down the control and shift keys and press the up arrow.
Here's the funny - it can go further up than the dialogue box allows so it must be more than the 16 that errored.

OK - On to the magic. (This is for version 2 but can get the same effect on version 1.75 - but the values will need to be different)
With your quarter rest (that you already entered and altered above) enter a quarter note tails up pitch B as a rest/note chord combination. The rest will come down a bit but will still be above the b.
Now enter another B as the next note. (Just an ordinary B, not a chord)
Now, move back and highlight the B chorded with a rest. Hold Down ALT and press enter to get to the properties.
Change the extra note spacing to 3 and click OK.

HEY !!!!!!  Where'd the B in the chord go ?  Magic - it vanished.

I'll leave you to work it out - (Tip in the last step, try something other than 3)

Rich.