Skip to main content
Topic: Playback problems (Read 2523 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback problems

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, or maybe it's just me...

I played back a song that had no pedal markings after I had playedback, saved, and closed another song that DID have pedal markings throughout the song, and during the playback of the second song, it sounded like the damper pedal of the piano was being held down.  I couldn't figure out why, so I closed the song and NWC2, restarted NWC2, and opened the song again.  The playback was fine, non legato, no pedal, as written.

Has anyone else experience this bug?  If it can be called a bug, perhaps more of a nuisance than anything.

I tried to recreate it by opening the first song (with pedal markings) in NWC2, closing it, then opening and playing the second song (no pedal markings), and it did the same thing again.  It was as if the damper pedal was being held down with no releases. Weird!

Any thoughts?

Re: Playback problems

Reply #1
This is probably not a NWC bug, but just a pedal down mark that did not have a pedal up mark in the preceding piece you mentioned.  This is why you will see in commercial MIDI files at least one, and sometimes several, All Notes Off commands for each of the 16 MIDI channels when the MIDI data stream is viewed with an editor such as MIDI-OX.  Try adding a pedal up mark to the end of EACH staff in the preceding piece.  Be careful to add it to any hidden staves there might be in the piece and if there are repeats, be sure the pedal up mark is at the end of the last bar actually played.  This should solve your problem.

Re: Playback problems

Reply #2
A further possibility.  Check to see if there are any hanging tied notes in the problem piece.  That is, are any notes tied to nothing or past the last barline.  That would have the same effect as a stuck pedal, at least for that pitch on that MIDI channel.