Skip to main content
Topic: Stem direction (Read 4662 times) previous topic - next topic

Stem direction

Hullo,

I import a midi file and notes above the middle line of a staff with a treble clef have notes with stems going up. In some staves it does this and sometimes it doesn't. I consider this a major fault.
The standard is that notes on C (the notes above the middle line) have their stems going down. If I can configure this somewhere that would be good.

Also, is there a reference somewhere for the order that orchestral parts should be placed in? I know there is a standard but I forget.

Chen

Re: Stem direction

Reply #1
I'm sure Eric will have something to say about note stems, but if note stems are irking you after import (I can't imagine why they would be stem up, but anyway...) use Tools | Audit Note Stems to fix them.

If you have access to the newsgroup, there has been a lot of talk about orchestral parts, about six months ago, including files of standard written ranges for parts.

Regards,
Andrew

PS: I'll get the files up on my web site within a week, and let the forum know.

Reply #2
All notes that are not beamed use the default stem direction after MIDI import. The default stem direction for notes above center on a staff is downward. The only exception to this is when a note is beamed to other lower notes. In this case, the stem may go upward based on the overall wieght of all of the notes in the beam. If you know of an exception to this in the behaviour of NWC, send the example to our support for review.

Reply #3
Chen,
In order to save space as well for better design, it is NOT a fault to write 3rd-line notes with stem up or down. I think you agree with this. For notes above, IMHO it may be good practice to keep the stem down when beamed to other notes lower. Even when (in treble clef) you have B-D-C-B sequence, it may be better for the reader to write them stem down, namely when surrounded by lower sequences. This allows the "graphic" part to be smoother. And often to enhance readability.

Just on the reader point of view.

Reply #4
And whilst we're on the subject of stems, do not have a chord with stems going in different directions if you also want the chord to be staccato.

The staccato bit doesn't work with mixed stems, they must all point in the same direction in order to get a staccato chord.

Richard