Skip to main content
Topic: Tacet (Read 21307 times) previous topic - next topic

Tacet

I am doing Aqualung from Jethro Tull and in the beginning there is a marking called Tacet. There are 3 of them, one in the first measure, two after the coda before the end. What does Tacet mean?

Re: Tacet

Reply #1
I found out it means silent. How would you put in in NWC though?????????? Does any one know????

Reply #2
G'day josh,
you can simulate a tacet by placing a dynamic with a velocity override...

At an appropriate place in the work, place a dynamic (hidden if necessary) then change its properties to have a velocity override of 1.  This has the effect of (all but) silencing the note.  When sound should be heard, place an appropriate dynamic without the velocity override (hidden if appropriate) and voila.

Figureing out the correct locations for the dynamics is the hardest part!

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Even though tacet means silent..why are they over whole rest. The first one is before the notes.

Reply #4
maybe I (Josh) don't know what a tacet means. I'll have to e-mail you Lawrie to show you.

Reply #5
We just had a little explanation, elsewhere, concerning tacit - tacet - tacent. Even though I never had Latin in school, I can tell you that 'tacet' means 'he is quiet', and when you see 'tacent' it means 'they are quiet'. Tacit is one letter off, even though 'taciturn' comes from the same Latin verb. Tacere, I believe.

Funny: in 'Das Echo', by Ordando di Lasso, the lyrics are Italian. Just two words from there: Tace, dico! --> Be quiet, I say!
(no, I do not speak Italian either)

Reply #6
Then how do you do it over a whole rest??

Reply #7
Is there a way I can show Rob or Lawrie the actual .nwc file?????

Reply #8
Without asking E-mail.....that might be IMPOSSIBLE!!!! With Forum Rules..it explains messages intended to solicit an e-mail response, rather than forum content, are generally not permitted (this is not a bulletin board for soliciting offline correspondence)

Reply #9
G'day Josh,
you will not normally see a tacet for a single bar, especially one with a rest!.  It will apply to an entire section, or perhaps one of a set of repeats, or a movement...

Lawrie

Reply #10
(This is Josh by the way) I scanned the sheet music in and I want to show you. Is there a way I can ask for your E-mail???

Reply #11
I put the nwc file on my site!! Now can you help me???????
My site is at Josh's Songs
Go to NWC FILES section and go to the bottom.

Reply #12
Tacet simply means - no sound - eg in a piano/vocal or guitar/vocal, tacet would mean the accompaniment shuts up! Usually a pickup or a short phrase, just by vocalist - then full on again. In instrumental music, maybe on a repeat say, the music for a part might say tacet first time etc.

Reply #13
G'day Josh,
I'm just back from work...

I've looked at your NWC file, and it seems to me that the tacet directives are redundant.  If your score is reasonably accurate then they don't seem necessary to me unless the writer is simply trying to emphasize that there should be some absolute silences...

As for my email, if you are a registered user and have registered for NNTP newsgroup access then my email is discernable in my messages - I am reluctant to publicise it as I already get more spam than I need and these forums are searchable, the NG is not.

Lawrie

Reply #14
Josh,
A good thing that you have an answer already. I do not have a popup blocker, so I gave up trying to reach the right page. Next time you post something on your site, please supply a more direct link - this is terrible.

Reply #15
The tacet is essentially redundant, since the measure already has rests.  It is just an indication to the singer for those measures to be quiet.

Which of course reminds me of the old joke about the orchestra whose lead trumpeter got sick.  All they could do was call in a jazz trumpeter to sat in with them for the performance.  They put the music in front of him and he was doing a pretty good job of covering the part.  Then, all of a sudden, he just jumps into an extended jazz solo, much to the chagrin of the conductor.  When asked what he was doing, the trumpeter said, "Well the music here said to take it [tacet], so I did!"

- John

Reply #16
"Tacet" might also apply to the chord symbols, if present in the sheet music (which I haven't seen but I wager has them).

It would tell the guitarist/pianist/accompanist not to keep playing during those sections but to keep quiet.  It wouldn't be redundant in that case.

Reply #17
The first tacet is before guitar chords!!! The other two are after. like this
1) Tacet - 3 bars without guitar chords - Double Barline - Gm

2+3) Coda - Gm - tacet - Gm -tacet

No chord symbols on each three tacets!!!!!

Reply #18
Ena might have a point.

Reply #19
I have deleted the .nwc file from my site. It was just for reference in the forum subject. So future reader..I'm sorry if you wanted the .nwc file.

Reply #20
I think I am done with the Tacet situation. I have fully transcribed it from sheet music. If I want..I can just have no effect on the tacet and leave it as a note to a real performer and not NWC. I wanted to start the topic because I wanted to see what it meant and how to do it in NWC. I know what it means and the computer doesn't need to be silent..that is something for a natural non-computer human-being singer to do. I will just have tacet as a text expression. Whet I print it...I or someother person will perform the action!!! Topic is managed!!!!!!