Skip to main content
Topic: Creative SB Live! External MIDI to Record? (Read 13913 times) previous topic - next topic

Creative SB Live! External MIDI to Record?

For months now I've been trying to get the Dell SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 and a Casio 1800 to be nice to each other. They refuse.

For some reason MIDI-IN from the keyboard will not work. I've searched and searched and spent a couple of hours (long story) on the phone with Dell support. No go.

Running XP Home, SP2, with 1.75b of NoteWorthy. The problem is not NoteWorthy because other tests show MIDI-IN not working as well.

Well, maybe except for one thing. Creative SB Live! External MIDI is the only option for the record device in the Options. Can it really record? If so, why doesn't NoteWorthy recognize the keyboard input? Maybe a USB connection rather than the game port?

Searches here didn't offer a solution either, so all suggestions welcome.

Re: Creative SB Live! External MIDI to Record?

Reply #1
What I do is set my recording device to MIDI and then use a sound program (goldwave, in my case) to record it. Start the recording, and then play the midi. I don't think you CAN burn a midi directly, based on how they work.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.

It used to be possible on my old computer to record live into NoteWorthy or step by step using the keyboard keys.

Now it won't even recognize the keyboard.

Reply #3
I've had the same problem, and don't know the cause, but the Casio worked with one make of MIDI cable but not with a another. Other keyboards worked with both!

Reply #4
>Creative SB Live! External MIDI is the only option for
>the record device in the Options. Can it really record?

That really is the question, isn't it. I would assume this is the only device listed as a record device because it is the only device in your system capable of MIDI input. The question is, does it really work?

The best first step is to do all of the obvious checks:

- is it a working cable

- does the MIDI output on the keyboard function properly and is it enabled

- do you have the correct drivers installed for sound card

Once you have done all of these things, then you might start to doubt the function of the sound card game port itself.

Reply #5
Also, this may seem obvious, but you don't mention this.

In NWC, the top toolbar, far right is a button for midi input.

Whenever you hover over this it says  'midi input active'

However, for it to be 'active', it needs to be selected, then producing a white background.

If this has been switched off, for whatever reason, NWC remembers this and it stays off until it is re-activated.

Reply #6
Thanks. I'll give all that a shot. I might end up trying a USB cable.

Reply #7
Well, I got a USB cable and same problem. It is possible to play the Casio from the computer, but the computer won't recognize the Casio input. NoteWorthy does recognize the USB record driver though.

Is there something more basic I'm missing with NoteWorthy? Imput is activated.

Reply #8
It sort of sounds like one (or more) of 4 things (ignore, if you've done these already):
1. Have you tried swapping the MIDI plugs at the back of the Casio? It's easy to get MIDI OUT and IN backwards.
2. Have you checked the cables for continuity pin-to-pin?
3. Have you tried another MIDI keyboard or controller on the Soundblaster? Maybe the SB joystick port is broken... or the Casio...
4. Have you tried downloading the SB driver and (re)installing it? Maybe the driver has some sort of problem.

Dave G.

Reply #9
I seem to have the same problem with my PSR 630 and SB live. I could record midi when i was using Vibra 128 with the same keyboard. Now after i changed to SB Live i just cant seem to get any midi input to my computer using the gameport.

Reply #10
Count me in.  I also can't record midi from my PSR-195 through my SoundBlaster 16 PCI, though midi out works fine.  There's definately an issue here.

Reply #11
Count me in too. I can't get my Medeli mc710 to play with my SB Live. I'll get it to play up midisongs on my keyboard, but i can't play from the keyboard to the SB-card.
This isn't a NW-specific problem I've noticed. Because I can't get it to work with Cubase either. There isn't any input at all. I've tried Midi Monitor (http://obds.free.fr/midimon/index.html) and no signal at all.

Reply #12
I have a Casio WK 1800.  Somehow, my pedal sustain is not working.  I tried to adjust the  assign pedal to SUS but stil it did not work.  Is there something else to adjust in my keyboard or the pedal just hit it's last leg?  If somebody had the same problem please advise.  I'd like to know more what the problem is before I look for somebody to fix it.  I am a missionary in Lima, Peru South America.

Reply #13
Hi, There is just the one setting for the Sustain pedal, looks like you found it. (Sustain is also the default setting)
I assume you are plugged into the correct jack (right next to midi in/out)
I'm not entirely clear from reading your post, as to whether or not this pedal has actually worked with this keyboard.
Some pedals will not. (The Roland or Edirol DP-6, for instance) Apparently, it's a software thing, regarding polarity.
The simpler the switch, the better. Casio recommend their SP-2 or SP-10.
Are there any markings on the switch ?
So, to sum up, If it is of the right type, and you are plugged into the correct jack socket, you already found the setting for 'SUS' (default setting),

Then, there is possible damage to the lead connections, or the switch assembly itself . . .
Unless anyone else has any ideas ?

Reply #14
Hello... I cant make that my roland xp-10 make any sound  via midi in my pc, i have  a soundblaster live!. i check the drivers and the set up of my pc...but it dosent get any signal... somene could help me?

Reply #15
Check your sound settings - could be in Control Panel.  See if you've enabled or disabled Digital Output.  I'm not sure which it should be, but you can always change it and change it back later if it didn't work.