Skip to main content
Topic: Instruments (Read 7312 times) previous topic - next topic

Instruments

I'm one of those 'musicians' that can't read and I see NWC as a brilliant self-teaching tool so I'm about to buy it.
One question though, can NWC really access all of the instruments available on my sound card ?  Even synthesised sounds that I've created and named myself ?

Re: Instruments

Reply #1
i think so
but you'll probably have to do some really complicated thingy to get to the synthesized ones

Reply #2
Hi Moon,
any sound (instrument) generated by your sound cards synthesizer can be used provided it is accessible via the GM (general midi) standard.

If you have created your own sounds, then putting them into a GM sound font (assuming your sound card is able to use sound fonts) would make them accessible to NWC.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Thanks, chaps, my CD is winging its way.
If NWC somehow bolts on to heavyweight editing apps. such as Cakewalk and Cubase then it will have done the 'underground' music world a great service.  Looks like a great product, even if it doesn't.  Thanks again.

Reply #4
Exporting files from nwc to MIDI then opening in Cakwwalk et al allows further editing.

Tina

Reply #5
Brilliant !  Thanks, tina.

Reply #6
Hi Moon, Lawrie's absolutely right.  I use a lot of custom soundfonts and have no problem using them in Noteworthy.

Your soundcard probably has a soundfont manager (I use Creative's Soundfont Bank Manager).  I use it to load the fonts in banks I desire.  Then in Noteworthy staff properties (F2), in Instrument Tab, I choose my custom sounds.  In Bank Select, I do the following:

1. Check "Select a patch bank" option

2. In "Control 0:", I select the bank number where I loaded my custom soundfont.

Now I can use my custom sounds.  Unfortunately, Noteworthy will not automatically pick up the instrument names from the new bank.  To see new instrument names, you have to edit the "NTWPATCH.INI" file in Noteworthy program folder.

CAUTION:  Do not edit unless you know how.  And always save a backup of the <b>original</b> file somewhere else, in case you make mistakes while editing.

I can't go into a full explanation here, but it's reasonably simple.  If you search this forum or web, you will probably find exact directions.  Here is the basic pattern:

The names of soundfonts are in the "[Patch Lists]" section, like "My New Soundfont=" (without the quotes).  You can add yours in this section (Name here don't have to match the filename of your soundfont).

Then the instruments are added like:

[My New Soundfont]
Booming bass=
Mighty guitar=

The "=" symbol ends each item.  You get the idea...

Reply #7
That's very helpful, kazi, thank you.
Frankly, I'm still in the process of choosing a breakout box soundcard to use with NI Guitar Rig so I'll keep an eye on the soundfont possibilities.
I ran the free version of NWC on my old machine with a Soundblaster Live Platinum card and was happy to see that its soundfonts were available. I'll refer to your advice when my new system is up and running.
Thanks again.

Reply #8
I think so!! (You cant read??) LOL

Reply #9
Moon,

Once you have noteworthy installed and running, I strongly recommend you join the user newsgroup. It is an excellent source of help and advice from other users and as friendly a newsgroup as you will meet anywhere.

Cheers

Geoff