Skip to main content
Topic: Notes dropping out (Read 3707 times) previous topic - next topic

Notes dropping out

I have a song section with 2 acoustic guitars (steel and nylon panned left and right) and a bass. The steel guitar keeps dropping out occasional notes. If I mute the bass or the other guitar, it sounds fine. This is happening on my system (SB32 + Yamaha XG) as well as a mates (AWE64). Any ideas???

Re: Notes dropping out

Reply #1
I have the same problem on an SB16 card which I suspect is due to the limitation on the number of voices that can sound at one time.
On an SB16 I think you have only 20 2-operator voices and 5 of those are taken up by the drum channel leaving 15 voices to share around among the other channels.
I wouldn't have thought that this would be a problem on AWE32/64 though.
If all your voices sound at the same instant the sound card chokes.
I write for big band and find that multi-voice ensembles written with NWC are quantized exactly to the same instant causing the choke off of some notes.
If you have access to a sequencer that allows you to shift staves in time -like Cakewalk, export your midi and try spreading the notes that sound together slightly apart.
For guitar this will mean appegiating the chord a couple of ticks after each other.
This works well on my sound card - try it on yours.
Unfortunately NWC doesn't provide this facility.

Reply #2
Hmm Have you tried turning the amount of voices allowed on the XG driver setting?
also try and turn the chorus off in the same settings area
I ten to have problems with that but they are fine after i switch them around.

Reply #3
Check the documentation on your sound card... Some patches will play back better on a few certain channels. Also, make sure that you don't have all the same instruments on the same channel, if possible.

<:) Lyndon