Skip to main content
Topic: Soundfonts (Read 4272 times) previous topic - next topic

Soundfonts

I have historically used an Ensoniq soundcard since I preferred its wavetables to those of the soundblaster. Unfortunately, Creative has now acquired Ensoniq, and the latest Ensoniq PCI sounds suspiciously like a soundblaster.

Verdict: I may have to change to a soundblaster AWE and rely on soundfonts.

Query whether we should begin a list of good freeware soundfont sites (and recommendations as to particular instrument effects within a particular grouping)? Does anyone have any favorites? Has anyone used and found the wave sampling technology of the latest Creative cards to be useful?

I guess I am basically looking for some feedback before I spend the bucks on an AWE 64 Value or Gold cards. (P.S. it would be helpful to know if there are any significant recommendations between the two).

Re: Soundfonts

Reply #2
Andrew: many thanks. Good leads. Steve.

Reply #3
What are soundfonts?

Reply #4
Chen: I am still a bit of a novice in the new field. However, the newer sounds now allow wavetable samples to be stored and accessed on the harddrive, rather than static ROM chips on the card. As a result, a whole new arena a wavetable samples are available for downloading and manipulation for playback and recording purposes.

Additionally, if a person wants to record in a favorite instrument, they can create (and polish) a sample that can thereafter be used in selecting instruments and instrument sounds (assuming appropriate software programs that add that flexibility such as Midisoft's Recording Studio program (p.s. apparently, some special ini are needed to allow selection of discrete instuments in Recording Studio. Technical Support at Midisoft can help with those).

I know there are some folks out there far more versed in the area. Perhaps they will have some added information (or corrections) relating to the foregoing.

Reply #5
Chen: I sent the prior response without proofreading. Should know better. Here is a better copy.

Chen: I am still a bit of a novice in the new field. However, the newer soundcards now allow wavetable samples to be stored and accessed on the harddrive, rather than on static ROM chips on the card. As a result, a whole new arena of wavetable samples are available for downloading and manipulation for playback and recording purposes. One of the leading firms in the area has coined (and trademarked?) the term "soundfonts" for the new form of samples that are available through its resources.

In addition to harddrive and downloadable soundfont packages, if a person wants to record in a favorite instrument in a wave or comparable format, they can create (and polish) a sample that can thereafter be used in selecting instruments and instrument sounds for their music(assuming appropriate software programs that add that flexibility such as Midisoft's Recording Studio program) (P.S. apparently, some special "ini" files/modifications are needed to allow selection of discrete instuments in Recording Studio. Technical Support at Midisoft can help with those).

I know there are some folks out there far more versed in the area. Perhaps they will have some added information (or corrections) relating to the foregoing.