Skip to main content
Topic: Stanzas in NW (Read 5480 times) previous topic - next topic

Stanzas in NW

Hello,

I would greatly appreciate some help with a problem I have.

I'm writing up some music which has a large number of short stanzas. Is it at all possible to seperate these stanzas so that the last bar of each stanza *isn't* stretched out to the edge of the page without having a NW file for each and every stanza and them painstakingly adjusting the margins so that they all fit together when printed seperately (on the same page)?

Essentially I want to create a "paragraph break".

Thanks,

Milan

Re: Stanzas in NW

Reply #1
Please check Page Setup, Options, checkbox 'Extend Last System'. Uncheck is. Would that help?

Reply #2
I'm not quite sure what your layout is, Milan.  Are you using different music for each stanza, in essence writing a number of short tunes one after the other, or are you using one repeated passage with lyrics?  I can only suggest a way to do the latter.

Just force a system break 4 or 5 or 6 measures before the end, whatever seems right to you for the length of the last line.  Highlight the bar line you want to end the second last line, use Control-E and set the Force System Break attribute.  The preceding lines will adjust their spacing.

You can turn off the extend last system feature as Rob suggests, but it may not matter.

Reply #3
G'day Milan,
I'm curious.  It sounds like you using a new staff for each "stanza".  If so then I think you're missing a fundamental of how NWC works.

I refer you to my  https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5266.msg33899#msg33899 addressed to "Nik".

This way, the barline that separates the stanzas can be set to be a "system break" as described by David and each new stanza will be on a new "line".

There is also some discussion on putting several songs on the one page here: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2321

A little experimentation would also not go astray...

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.